TRO: Rangers' solid foundations undermined by predictability

Analy

By Kyle McLean | Guest Contributor

As a second season in the top-flight threatens to sink into a complete non-event, we need to look back at what has happened since that confidence boosting 0-0 draw away at Celtic Park last year. Since that match we’ve played 11 games but there was a major break in form.

The biggest difference has been the defence. It’s fallen apart in a big way. Including that Celtic game, those first five games of the year we conceded only three goals. We picked up 10 points (going at two points per game – not great but not terrible). However, in the following six matches we’ve conceded 10, conceding three times in a game twice. Again, 10 points picked up (but only at 1.667 per match, not nearly good enough).

https://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2018/4/3/78rn2t6591s2ml889ja4ld8isrk1m4

sis: Rangers' solid foundations undermined by predictability

• Frankie changed the title to TRO: Rangers' solid foundations undermined by predictability

Still not exactly sure, whether it is the defence that is to blame. Sure, we should concede fewer goals, but my biggets point of bother is the lack of goals up front, especially the creativity aspect ... and my personal vultures circle above Windass for not doing enough and Murty for not changing things when he needed to.

We've conceded four more goals this season so there has been an issue with the defence - especially recently.  Not so sure Murty can be blamed for this given injuries but he's certainly culpable in a general sense.

We looked good for a few months winning games with some style, defensively we were tight but a few injuries put paid to that period. At the moment we are all over the place, Morelos is misfiring our shape is static one dimensional, teams are reading the script and it's costing us.

I think the club have been fair to Murty they have given him a platform to show what he can offer, i agreed at the time as i thought as well, ''let us see what Murty can do''

My opinion is that he still has a long way to go before his apprenticeship is served, if he still wants to continue in management then i think his traineeship lies elsewhere next season. There's no way in god's earth can Rangers continue with an apprentice manager if we are seriously looking to catch the tims. They are definitely a year or two ahead of us, they have a stronger squad more experienced players and a proven manager, we need to emulate that experience and strength, that will take money, whether we have it or prepared to spend it is for another thread.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

We need a new manager, who can command the respect of the dressing room, get the best out of our players, knows how to win things and isn't scared to make decisions.  

It's that simple.  

Hope Murty stays with the club but not as first team manager. 

I find the criticism of him against celtic is partially justified but also ignores a pretty basic point. If players themselves are unable to reorganise and adjust to play against 10 men then they are lacking in leadership and tactical knowledge. Tactics against 10 men are known by everyone who has ever played a game of football and are practiced in training. I don’t think it is a lack of tactical knowledge. Implementing the change in front of a 50000 crowd in an OF game or in any high pressure game is the issue and requires leadership, experience, confidence and ability both on and off the park.  

Murty should have made changes of course but let’s not overlook the real problem which is we need another player refresh. Perhaps not as big as last time but good quality and money still required. In terms of who leaves then apart from the dross hanging on it has to be those who are unable to roll their sleeves up when they are not having a good technical game themselves and who are unable to recognise what is happening tactically in a game and therefore cannot make a personal adjustment. We can only afford a Davie Cooper level of effort if the player has his level of ability and we have 10 other winners. No one fits that bill and if they think they can do nothing in this team fi 45 mins or more they need to be removed. 

A surprise to me in the article is the level  of expectation on guys like Goss. Like previous ‘interims’ he and players like him is not the answer. Perhaps over time but you can’t face up to midfields like Celtic’s unless you have been there done it. On that front the Board have to take a step up. This is a big year for them as well imo. 

2 hours ago, aweebluesoandso said:

We looked good for a few months winning games with some style, defensively we were tight but a few injuries put paid to that period. At the moment we are all over the place, Morelos is misfiring our shape is static one dimensional, teams are reading the script and it's costing us.

I think the club have been fair to Murty they have given him a platform to show what he can offer, i agreed at the time as i thought as well, ''let us see what Murty can do''

My opinion is that he still has a long way to go before his apprenticeship is served, if he still wants to continue in management then i think his traineeship lies elsewhere next season. There's no way in god's earth can Rangers continue with an apprentice manager if we are seriously looking to catch the tims. They are definitely a year or two ahead of us, they have a stronger squad more experienced players and a proven manager, we need to emulate that experience and strength, that will take money, whether we have it or prepared to spend it is for another thread.

I am not 100% behind you on Morelos out of form. If it was not for Morelos we would not have been near Motherwell in the second half. He was starved in the first half and was the catalyst to our better performance in the second half.