Youth Cup Final

RANGERS' under-19s have been crowned SFA Youth Cup champions for the first time in five years after clinically thrashing old rivals Celtic 5-0 in front of more than 11,000 fans at Hampden.

An early goal from Andrew Shinnie, a hat-trick from Steven Lennon and another strike from Dean Furman did the damage although Billy Kirkwood's young colts could have had more after dominating from start to finish.

Shinnie opened the scoring when he collected a pass from John Fleck after just four minutes and rifled a low shot past keeper Paul Skinner.

Rangers could have doubled their lead just two minutes later but Fleck's shot from close range clattered off the outside of the post and out for a goal kick.

Billy Kirkwood's boys, however, did double their lead after 21 minutes via a spectacular strike from Lennon. The forward collected a pass from William Kinniburgh and chipped the stranded keeper from around 30 yards.

He then added to his and Rangers' tally 10 minutes after the break, collecting Paul Emslie's long pass and slotting past the keeper after beating him in a 50-50.

Lennon could have had a hat-trick had Fleck not chosen to go it alone on the counter attack but Skinner did well to block the 15 year-old's shot.

The striker's moment of glory, though, would arrive just moments later. Jordan McMillan was brought down in the box by Jason Marr and the 19 year-old calmly converted his third of the night and Rangers' fourth.

In front of a crowd of 11,486, Lennon saw a chance for his fourth blocked but captain Dean Furman followed up to knock number five into the net to complete the rout.

RANGERS: Gallacher, McLachlan, Kinniburgh, Perry, C Smith, Emslie (Djezeri 82), Fleck, Shinnie, Lennon (Little 77), Furman, McMillan (Ness 64)

Subs: Sagar, Harvey

CELTIC: Skinner, Caddis, Lafferty, Marr, Anderson, Hepburn, Cawley, Millar, Sheridan, Cahillane, Carey

Subs: Barron, Traub, Monti, Connell, Kiely

The youngsters are great and play well together, got some good inddividuals as well, when is it when we see Lennon in the team. The guy is scoring for fun, people will say he is too young but look at DJ

it wasnt so long ago that leguen got the arse ripped out of him for bringing lennon on as a sub. i say we use the league cup to give these boys a taste of the first team. think it would work wonders for their morale.

Gutted i didnt make it last night, Some great goals, from the highlights looks like young Lennon was involved in everything.

It could be an idea to play some of thses boys in the league cup along with some of the fringe 1st team players, especially if we are playing in the CL group stages next year.

Last night would have also been a great experience for Fleck, a 15 year old playing for the 19s in a cup final at hampden. Superb.

Good game. Fans were in good voice. Hardly noticed the mhanks were there.

Lennon was class, absolutely destroyed them. The likes of Shinnie and Furman had decent games too. Other than that was hard for me to tell who played well, you're sat miles from the action at Hampden and I'm not that familiar with these players, their names aside.

Ps. Br1ndy asum you were there?

Didy ou think their keeper dropped it over the line direct from the second half kick off?

Good game. Fans were in good voice. Hardly noticed the mhanks were there.

Lennon was class, absolutely destroyed them. The likes of Shinnie and Furman had decent games too. Other than that was hard for me to tell who played well, you're sat miles from the action at Hampden and I'm not that familiar with these players, their names aside.

Ps. Br1ndy asum you were there?

Didy ou think their keeper dropped it over the line direct from the second half kick off?

Aye mate i was there.

i was sitting right at the corner and i was lookin away at that point and missed the whole kick off scenario lol. All i heard was OOOOOOFFFT!