New manager rumours

39 minutes ago, craig said:

Kevin Thomson has only just started at the club in the last couple of months, currently coaching the U13's alongside Greg Statt.  Has great ambition - but is no different in that regard to Lovenkrands or even Stephen Wright, all of whom hold their A Licenses.  I think, but could be wrong, that Lovenkrands holds his Pro License too (not sure about Wright) - the only reason KT didn't get his Pro License was because his Academy took off so well and he didn't have the time to do the license - and he didn't want to leave the kids without him being the coach at his own Academy.

Yes, Rousseau, I am biased :ninja: - but I do think that people like Kevin Thomson and, indeed Lovenkrands, have such a winner's mentality that Sunday's performance wouldn't have been acceptable - they likely would have been in the middle of the barney too, because they care so much.

People like this wouldn’t be my first choice but I’m increasingly convinced this is the direction from which the eventual solution will come. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Kevin Thomson has only just started at the club in the last couple of months, currently coaching the U13's alongside Greg Statt.  Has great ambition - but is no different in that regard to Lovenkrands or even Stephen Wright, all of whom hold their A Licenses.  I think, but could be wrong, that Lovenkrands holds his Pro License too (not sure about Wright) - the only reason KT didn't get his Pro License was because his Academy took off so well and he didn't have the time to do the license - and he didn't want to leave the kids without him being the coach at his own Academy.

Yes, Rousseau, I am biased :ninja: - but I do think that people like Kevin Thomson and, indeed Lovenkrands, have such a winner's mentality that Sunday's performance wouldn't have been acceptable - they likely would have been in the middle of the barney too, because they care so much.

Hence they would be assistants to e.g Nicholl, who would command respect. When you hear Thomson talk during commentaries, same with e.g. McCann, you know they have a good understanding of tactics, formations, opposition and what should be done, when and how. While it is always easier said than done, those guys would fill me with confidence that progress and change is at hand.

Obviously, in McCann's case, people will point at his previous jobs or struggling Dundee right now, but managing Dundee is vastly different from managing Rangers - and not just in case of demands and stature and all. He'll have a very different playing staff too. Anyway, that's just theory.

The silence oozing out of Ibrox since Monday is quite irritating.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

Yes, perhaps we stumbled into an experimental 'test-run' of inexperienced Head Coach plus DoF with more active role.

Whether we did or not, it hasn't worked and it's clear that the level of expectation/pressure at Rangers is far too much to handle for inexperienced coaches.

Probably true. In Murty’s case, things seemed to be going ok but the wheels came off in some fucking style the minute things went a wrong in the pitch. But I don’t think that necessitates appointing a 60 year old who shouts a lot and who demands we give him complete autonomy over everything.

Who do you want as Manager?

Poll on FF with following numbers

Frank De Boer.......................... 64 vote(s)  

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst .......90 vote(s)  

Michel Preud'homme.............. 88 vote(s) 

Graeme Murty........................... 3 vote(s)  

Alex Neil..................................... 14 vote(s)  

Steve Clark ...............................78 vote(s) 

Derek McInnes........................ 1 vote(s)  

Neil Warnock.......................... 131 vote(s)  

Billy Davies............................... 3 vote(s)  

Slaven Billic ..............................21 vote(s)  

Robbie Neilson......................... 1 vote(s) 

Alan Pardew..............................5 vote(s)   

Jack Ross..................................  7 vote(s) 

Steve McClaren.......................  10 vote(s)  

Other (Please state)................ 35 vote(s)  

-------------------

I tried to put a poll up on here but I'm either IT challenged or the sysytem didn't allow me.

Edited by buster.

Let's have a look at some, availability and ages ...

Frank deBoer (47)  ... free

Michel Preud'homme  (47) ... free &  jobless since summer 2017

Alex Neil (36) ... at PNE till the end of this season

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst  (43) ... at Feyenoord till 2019

Jack Ross (41) ... at St. Mirren till 2020

Steve Clarke (54) ... at Killie till 2020

Neil Warnock (69) ... under contract at Cardiff till 2020

there was loads of guys on FF saying they wouldn't vote for Neil "because he was a ******"...depressing because I feel it in my waters that it's going to be him. Did King say something about managers in England or was that just press shite ?

other realistic targets would be Steve Clarke, Motherwell guy, Jack Ross would be a punt mind you but he's done great with St. Mirren

Edited by colinstein

I don't see why we wouldn't at least be speaking to MPD given he has been out of work for so long.  Sure, some would say there must be a reason, but he has been successful wherever he has gone.  Wouldn't cost much to bring him in, no fee to pay - given he has been unemployed for so long you would think he would want to get back in to build his reputation.

At least hear what his vision may be.

We keep hearing how they need to understand the Scottish game - but I am not convinced.  They said the same in England when Guardiola came in, and then repeated it when he didn't win the league last year - yet look at what their patience has rewarded them with.

I like the idea of having these young 'winners' around, but I don't understand why we're enthusiastic about that and not about a young tactician. These young German coaches are tactically excellent, but we're ruling them out in favour of someone who's won a few games for us? I don't quite get that. It's an invaluable quality and characteristic -- I'm all for that -- but I would like to see that tactical proficiency come first. 

I agree the practicable solution may indeed be a young, up-and-coming coach; I'm all for that -- if they can demonstrate tactical proficiency.