New manager rumours

Slightly controversial opinion, but a lot of people are saying this isn't the time to roll the dice. I completely disagree. We are very much running out of time to stop their ten in a row, and it's time to gamble and hope it pays off. We've been without a proper manager for a long long time, so Allen must have a very good knowledge of who is on the market and interested in the job. Chances are, that's McLaren and Pardew etc. The fact that we've not got a FdB suggests that they don't want the job (as Pete mentioned on this week's podcast) so I imagine we're left with a list of "established experienced names", none of whom are the required quality to win 55. Under these circumstances, I agree with taking a gamble.

Yes, he's never managed before, but he has been managed by top coaches into captaining a side to a Champions League win. He'll have seen how a team needs to be coached, and I imagine will still.have Houlier, Benitez et al available for advice and guidance.

Time is running out to stop them. If the established names in the frame arent of sufficient quality, then let's gamble.

10 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Well, the Super Soarway has the Gerrard story this am, under the byline if Mr Andy Devlin, apparently a fairly regular conduit of choice for the Board for dissemination of news and opinion. 

It would be an extraordinary appointment, somewhat akin to Souness, in 1986, but, if the deal is done, prepare for an absolute torrent of ordure, from the usual objective observers in the press corps. 

It is nowhere near akin to the Souness deal, gerrard being a celtic fan and a tim apart ?

9 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Gerrard definitely fits the profile for a coach who could work under a director of football.

I don't there is a 'profile' per se. Perhaps British coaches, yes -- they'd be younger, coaches rather than Managers, but only through ignorance -- but I don't think that's true on the continent. There are lots of experienced managers that just have to work under a DoF; because most clubs have one. 

I shouldn't be the case in Britain; we must move with the times. 

This one has gone from left-field to seeming to being so much a front-runner as appearing to be "imminent" to some.  He was a wonderful player though I could never take his endless late runs, if Liverpool weren't winning,  into the penalty area to fall over and get a penalty or, failing that, free kicks on the edge.  Then, after the game, say :"Everybody knows I'm not that type of player, I don't dive, me" This is what Wenger was referring to when he said the papers always go on about foreigners diving but the leading exponent at that time was English.  It's modern football, of course, and the likes of Drogba took it so far as to be even more ludicrous.  And it shows a will to win at all costs, I suppose.  I guess no-club has players who don't do this.  I see little of them but Sinclair seems to base his game around it, and we've had them, too.  Along with feigning injury, it's the main thing that's put me off football.   

Anyway - as manager =  hell of a gamble but if it paid off it'd be looked back on a masterstroke.  He'd bring an interest from a media that is not inherently and irredeemably biased against us (so far!) too.  He's certainly got lots of people he can call for advice. Daglish, for one ;) , but really he will have people whose counsel would be at the end of a phone.

Edited by SteveC

4 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

It is nowhere near akin to the Souness deal, gerrard being a celtic fan and a tim apart ?

i can see a lot of similarities, frankly, not least the "wow" factor of both. 

I believe that he is a Liverpool fan.  I am told, for what it is worth, and for all that it matters,  that he is not a roman catholic. 

He does have a daughter called Lourdes, it seems, but, since we are currently in need of a miracle......

I'm struggling to get excited about this Gerard link.

Inexperience shouldn't rule anyone out, but they have to demonstrate that they have ideas, and principles that they can implement; I'm struggling to see what his ideas are, his philosophy. Admittedly, I've not seen/ read anything about his work with the Liverpool Academy. 

I'd be more comfortable if I knew a little about what he'd bring. At the minute, it just seems like we're basing it on his playing career; stellar though it is, it doesn't necessarily translate into a successful managerial career.

And then the experienced #2 crap annoys me too. I really don't care if they are 'experienced' in the game. The game has changed. What worked for Gary Mac, doesn't work nowadays... IMO, of course. 

Admittedly, getting the players 'up for the game' -- as vague as that is -- is probably enough in this league, embarrassingly, with the gulf in quality and finances. However, it'll not beat a Rodgers side. And, it'll not do anything in Europe. 

Turned into a bit of a rant... sorry :facepalm: 

2 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

i can see a lot of similarities, frankly, not least the "wow" factor of both. 

I believe that he is a Liverpool fan.  I am told, for what it is worth, and for all that it matters,  that he is not a roman catholic. 

He does have a daughter called Lourdes, it seems, but, since we are currently in need of a miracle......

Steven Gerard, a "Liverpool fan"? I think you might be on to something... :D 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm struggling to get excited about this Gerard link.

Inexperience shouldn't rule anyone out, but they have to demonstrate that they have ideas, and principles that they can implement; I'm struggling to see what his ideas are, his philosophy. Admittedly, I've not seen/ read anything about his work with the Liverpool Academy. 

I'd be more comfortable if I knew a little about what he'd bring. At the minute, it just seems like we're basing it on his playing career; stellar though it is, it doesn't necessarily translate into a successful managerial career.

And then the experienced #2 crap annoys me too. I really don't care if they are 'experienced' in the game. The game has changed. What worked for Gary Mac, doesn't work nowadays... IMO, of course. 

Admittedly, getting the players 'up for the game' -- as vague as that is -- is probably enough in this league, embarrassingly, with the gulf in quality and finances. However, it'll not beat a Rodgers side. And, it'll not do anything in Europe. 

Turned into a bit of a rant... sorry :facepalm: 

Do you think that, maybe, the pursuit of a 'marquee' name has behind it a rationale beyond exciting the long suffering support, and encouraging them to invest in season tickets?