Alistair Johnston Statement Discussion: Murty to remain in place

Apparently the 'ahead of the curve' stuff was in response to a question he was asked in regard to where he thinks we are since 2016. To which he replied, making mention of running out at Brechin in 2012. I've not read a transcript of the interview if such a thing is freely available, but I can't help thinking that his language might well have implied meaning - 'we are lucky to still be here'.

If I'm right and this is aimed at supporters as a reminder which could be interpreted by some as a scare tactic, it's difficult to escape the conclusion that we are all very much, being taken for granted.

I'm repeating myself here. The UB lads have got it spot on.

We deserve better.

Stories coming out the Miller camp , are that it all kicked off at half time , mainly between JN and GM with Miller and Wallace pitching in , JN and GM do not get along at all , regards to AJ , seemingly he has 3 backers ready for the share issue and there is going to be serious movement regards to management and players this summer , take it with as much and as many pinches of salt as you want , who knows

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

(I've merged Soulsonic's thread into this one given the PA content is in the first post)

With regard to what he says, first of all, I can kind of understand why he's keeping Murty around even if I disagree.  How many clubs have had a caretaker for the caretaker? :D

As for his other comments, they're just poor.  Why not just be honest with himself and the fans?  We're not ahead of the curve and although we may need to be more patient, he has to acknowledge fan frustration on that front.

We had stewart mcall replace mcdowall as temp. 

11 minutes ago, rbr said:

Stories coming out the Miller camp , are that it all kicked off at half time , mainly between JN and GM with Miller and Wallace pitching in , JN and GM do not get along at all , 

Wouldn't surprise me.  One is a Rangers man and would've been gutted about our performance.....the other?  

27 minutes ago, rbr said:

Stories coming out the Miller camp , are that it all kicked off at half time , mainly between JN and GM with Miller and Wallace pitching in , JN and GM do not get along at all , regards to AJ , seemingly he has 3 backers ready for the share issue and there is going to be serious movement regards to management and players this summer , take it with as much and as many pinches of salt as you want , who knows

There are various versions doing the rounds, to the extent that genuine ITK posters on FF disagree on things like whether Murty was in the dressing room when Miller was 'doing his thing'.

Regardless, no-one comes out of this well and above that noise (we'll soon enough forget about it). What we need in respect of European qualificatiuon is get three points on Sunday. Then find the right managerial answer asap and sort out the finances to allow scope for a new man to work.

Edited by buster.

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  One is a Rangers man and would've been gutted about our performance.....the other?  

You can't honestly believe that!  Murty will be suffering enormously at the moment.  I think they're all suffering to be honest and it's got a bit too heated because they all care so much.  I think it sounds like KM and LW have gone a bit overboard, and although I can understand that as a human being, it's not acceptable.

The board has taken the only decision it could here, and as sensible businessmen I'm glad they've taken a longer term view by backing the manager (even though they know he won't be our manager next season).  They've quite rightly sent out a message that their appointed manager is there to make the decisions and that they'll back him in any disputes with the players.  Like it or not, that's the way it should be, unless bullying is taking place.  Murty has brought a lot of this on himself though.  When PC and Miller had their falling out, it caused huge unrest in the dressing room.  The board fired PC and the first game after that, Murty brought back Miller.  That was a huge mistake and the board should not have allowed that because that further fuelled the idea that Miller was in the right and his manager in the wrong.  I think the board has learned from that incident, and I'm sure Murty has too, albeit he'll take that learning away to another's club I suspect.

This is embarrassing for the club but I'm quite happy with the way it's being dealt with.  I just hope Murty and the players can agree to at least focus for the rest of the season.  Most of the players will still be there and have a lot to prove.  Murty will want to end on a hig too, because he'll want to retrieve what he can to mend his image in football before looking for a new job.

Gonzo, Buster, Gaffer - Lads, Sunday will reveal a lot. Even if we get a result, we'll get an impression if camp morale is good or not. Personally, I think it's gone past the point of no return where Murty is concerned.

The board have, quite deliberately in my view, used Graeme's tenure as an experiment; a toe in the water of a young 'laptop' coach if you will, working in tandem with a technical director. This type of coach is widespread in Europe but the important distinction is that they are usually coming from a background of years of experience working with various teams at their club before promotion to the top job.

Our esteemed board have fast-tracked Murty out of necessity, hoping for the best and it has come badly unstuck. It's almost as if Graeme has put the cart before the horse. He projects his philosophy and formation (which is currently en vogue in the coach's bible) in the same manner as he did when tasked with laying down foundations with the kids in his previous capacity at the club. He adheres to it no matter what, tinkering loosely at the edges from time to time. But, importantly, and this is where he and his blueprint fall down, the first team squad is ill equipped to play to the system. Graeme is hell bent on repetition bearing fruit because that is how he has been trained as a coach and the echoes of Warburton and 'plan B is to do plan A better' are there for everyone to see. 

All of which is laudable on one hand but doesn't necessarily equate in the art of 'management' where the emphasis is on getting the best out of the tools available to you.

The players have obviously reached the end of their tether in listening to this stuff and have had enough culminating in Wallace and Miller blowing up.

Can Graeme recover the situation? I don't think so. Any respect for him has long since dwindled away.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

Think you hit it on the head Soulsonic with your"laptop coach/manager"it is annoying to see how long it takes to make a substitution via prolonged instructions, looking at a laptop screen or pages and pages of laminated formations,players heads must get scrambled.

4 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Think you hit it on the head Soulsonic with your"laptop coach/manager"it is annoying to see how long it takes to make a substitution via prolonged instructions, looking at a laptop screen or pages and pages of laminated formations,players heads must get scrambled.

Cheers Mack.

Aye, I know...you never seen Alec Ferguson scribbling down notes in a pad did you?