Alistair Johnston Statement Discussion: Murty to remain in place

Didn't he notice the thousands of fans leaving the stands, during the match, on Sunday?

I stayed to the end but it felt utterly pointless supporting the team, as they appeared to give up as soon as the game started.

The board will regret keeping Murty around when our last home match is played in a half full morgue.

46 minutes ago, Frankie said:

(I've merged Soulsonic's thread into this one given the PA content is in the first post)

With regard to what he says, first of all, I can kind of understand why he's keeping Murty around even if I disagree.  How many clubs have had a caretaker for the caretaker? :D

As for his other comments, they're just poor.  Why not just be honest with himself and the fans?  We're not ahead of the curve and although we may need to be more patient, he has to acknowledge fan frustration on that front.

I think most of us disagree.

The thing is, the logic that AJ uses to justify keeping to the plan of reviewing matters at the end of the season might be overtaken by events this weekend. In that case, you'd have another layer of ridicule for the media to jump on.

Wrt the football, if we don't pick up three points on Sunday and Kilmarnock beat Aberdeen at Rugby Park, you have the outside chance but real possibility of A 5th place finish and no European qualification.

Three points is very important this weekend.

7 minutes ago, compo said:

Maybe we should let Kenny pick the team or set the tactics or better still his missus she had plenty to say about her man being left out .

Well, there are many suggesting that we need a hard ticket in the dressing room........

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Didn't he notice the thousands of fans leaving the stands, during the match, on Sunday?

I stayed to the end but it felt utterly pointless supporting the team, as they appeared to give up as soon as the game started.

The board will regret keeping Murty around when our last home match is played in a half full morgue.

How often did this happen before though? The dismay on Sunday was sure of an extra level, but if the club would chop and change managers based on 3 or 5 results, we'd be revolving managers faster than a gatling gun.

As for keeping Murty ... this is all grand hindsight furore ...  e.g. on the eve of the Ibrox OF game we were pretty confident to close the gap to the Scum to 6 points ... and fought the Scum in that game well. We lost, the bubble burst and the team managed to fuck up the game afterwards too. We drew at Fir Park (same as the Scum a week earlier, BTW) and that was that. Within 3 games, the league season was virtually over.

As for Plan Bs, re PC or indeed Murty. What is that hard to fathom? It's not like able managers grow on trees. They have to fulfill certain criteria to be considered AND need to be available, willing to come and willing to work with the budget we can offer them. If you look far and wide, the number of such folk will be rather small. And there is no guarantee whatsoever that any of those chaps mentioned back then would have yielded better results with the players at hand. People may believe that still, but that's essentially claiming an unreasonable foresight for themselves that they in turn deny the board.

BTW, AJs comments about being on course may seem irrational for some. Yet, perhaps these business chaps have a somewhat more calculating and more restrained view on what was and is achievable in the here and now? They sure did not envisage that it may go all down-hill with silverware and league position, yet were probably prepared for it more than the fans.

Fan-boards are sure an interesting nexus for fan opinion, your "internet pub", so to speak. I have long since accepted that it ain't reflecting THE opinion of the fan-base though. We should thus stop making predictions about how the rest of the 40odd thousand chaps behave when it comes to buying STs.

We could analyse things for paragraphs on end but you are basically saying "It's okay, just wait around for something good to happen.".  Only one sentence is really required: "Not good enough!"

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

Perhaps for you, but not for some of us.

He started off with 6 wins on the trot. A few were sure surprised, even you?

As I said. It is all fine on hindsight, but the Board can not clone a manager - whether as Plan A or B - when no-one is about. And to say Pardew or Warnock (neither was available or willing) might have fared any better is just claiming to have  a foresight that simply isn't there.

BTW, I'm not exactly defending the Board, but looking at it from their position may be helpful every now and than. At least more than aiming pointless FLAK like there is no tomorrow ...

More of an interview than a Statement.....and not the best.  but one important thing is missing from the article - what questions was he asked???  It can be VERY easy to take a quote way out of context if the question is unknown.

If AJ honestly believes that we are "ahead of the curve", I wouldn't like to see what the curve is like.  Yes, there has been improvements throughout, which is excellent, but there still appears to be a lot of work required on attitudes & professionalism from the top down.

As for Murty's position....is there going to be any notable benefit with 5 games to go, if he is replaced???  I would doubt it - better sticking with the "devil you know" for that number of games.  Of course, it's not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.  While Murty's going nowhere just now, I would like to think that plans are getting ramped up behind the scenes to secure a top appointment for next season.

4 minutes ago, Darthter said:

More of an interview than a Statement.....and not the best.  but one important thing is missing from the article - what questions was he asked???  It can be VERY easy to take a quote way out of context if the question is unknown.

If AJ honestly believes that we are "ahead of the curve", I wouldn't like to see what the curve is like.  Yes, there has been improvements throughout, which is excellent, but there still appears to be a lot of work required on attitudes & professionalism from the top down.

As for Murty's position....is there going to be any notable benefit with 5 games to go, if he is replaced???  I would doubt it - better sticking with the "devil you know" for that number of games.  Of course, it's not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.  While Murty's going nowhere just now, I would like to think that plans are getting ramped up behind the scenes to secure a top appointment for next season.

I'd like to think so too but nothing I see or hear even hints at the sort of appointment most fans want to see. Football is a small world and Rangers is increasingly seen as a bit of a poisoned chalice. Without the money to overcome the reticence to join what is now a negative brand, I can see another complete bodge coming up.