Alistair Johnston Statement Discussion: Murty to remain in place

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Gonzo, Buster, Gaffer - Lads, Sunday will reveal a lot. Even if we get a result, we'll get an impression if camp morale is good or not. Personally, I think it's gone past the point of no return where Murty is concerned.

The board have, quite deliberately in my view, used Graeme's tenure as an experiment; a toe in the water of a young 'laptop' coach if you will, working in tandem with a technical director. This type of coach is widespread in Europe but the important distinction is that they are usually coming from a background of years of experience working with various teams at their club before promotion to the top job.

Our esteemed board have fast-tracked Murty out of necessity, hoping for the best and it has come badly unstuck. It's almost as if Graeme has put the cart before the horse. He projects his philosophy and formation (which is currently en vogue in the coach's bible) in the same manner as he did when tasked with laying down foundations with the kids in his previous capacity at the club. He adheres to it no matter what, tinkering loosely at the edges from time to time. But, importantly, and this is where he and his blueprint fall down, the first team squad is ill equipped to play to the system. Graeme is hell bent on repetition bearing fruit because that is how he has been trained as a coach and the echoes of Warburton and 'plan B is to do plan A better' are there for everyone to see. 

All of which is laudable on one hand but doesn't necessarily equate in the art of 'management' where the emphasis is on getting the best out of the tools available to you.

The players have obviously reached the end of their tether in listening to this stuff and have had enough culminating in Wallace and Miller blowing up.

Can Graeme recover the situation? I don't think so. Any respect for him has long since dwindled away.

I think you've swung your hammer and missed the target altogether! :D

Murty is not a "laptop manager"; his philosophy is as far removed as it's possible to be, as he doesn't actually have a philosophy. His football is basic, and is actually based on man-management. The 4-2-3-1 formation is old hat.

IMO, he does change his approaches for certain games, but doesn't have the depth of understanding to implement it; He's tried 2-3 different formations, and a couple of different approaches. He's using the set-up to suit the players. They can't play anything other than 4-2-3-1/4-4-2, and Murty -- even if he does tinker (not much, granted) -- doesn't have the depth of understanding to implement it.   

He was appointed out of necessity, but only because there was no one else. If they're using Murty to experiment with a "laptop coach", then the Board have no idea what it is.

8 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Based on man-management??? You been up all night thinking that one up :D

The 20's play the same system.

Just because he's screwed it up recently doesn't mean it's not. When he came in he brought in a basic set-up, based on getting the most out of the players at his disposal; he's not good enough to bring anything more -- he's not even very good at that, other than that wee spell in December (?). 

Have you guys watched the interviews?  These guys are trained to face the media but there are tell tale signs which often give you a better idea of what they mean, rather than what they say.

My reading of the interviews ... and note that this is not based on what they say, but more about how they say it and how they react to questions.

Murty

-  he really believes the players are backing him.

-  he believes that the players are focussed in training.

-  Andy Halliday is still furious about being subbed when he was.

-  Murty knows he's not going to be the manager next season but wants to finish on a high.

Declan

-  the manager was clear in his instructions.

-  the players let the manager down.

-  they are fully behind them manager.

These were the key points, but additionally what was interesting was when he was asked if anyone overstepped the mark in the dressing room.  You can tell he is thinking about saying something but tells himself "no, don't say anything".  He repeated that the club has to decide what to do about those players.  This doesn't give much insight, but it does tell us that LW and KM are both up for the same charge.  In other words, they were being lumped together in the way DJ saw it.

A laptop manager is a new one on me.  Is that someone who’s good at Championship Manager?  If so I mind taking Leyton Orient to World Club Champions in about 10 seasons on Champ 01/02.

Maybe I should apply for the Rangers job.

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Apparently the 'ahead of the curve' stuff was in response to a question he was asked in regard to where he thinks we are since 2016. To which he replied, making mention of running out at Brechin in 2012. I've not read a transcript of the interview if such a thing is freely available, but I can't help thinking that his language might well have implied meaning - 'we are lucky to still be here'.

If I'm right and this is aimed at supporters as a reminder which could be interpreted by some as a scare tactic, it's difficult to escape the conclusion that we are all very much, being taken for granted.

I'm repeating myself here. The UB lads have got it spot on.

We deserve better.

In 2016 we were ‘Going for 55’ apparently.

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

A laptop manager is a new one on me.  Is that someone who’s good at Championship Manager?  If so I mind taking Leyton Orient to World Club Champions in about 10 seasons on Champ 01/02.

Maybe I should apply for the Rangers job.

It's used as a pejorative term here for those young coaches that have no real playing experience -- like Cathro. 

However, it's actually used positively in Germany for those same young coaches, a few of which are doing remarkable things.