Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

12 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

We are being told DoFs recruit, a fancy word for sign, when there is no manager in place.

Once again what if incoming managers do not like the players recruited/signed by any DoF, when there was no manager in place.

I do not believe for one moment DoFs sign anyone, advise on logistics yes, sign no.

You're working on the assumption that there is no new manager in place. Perhaps there is someone already working behind the scenes with the DoF?

12 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

We are being told DoFs recruit, a fancy word for sign, when there is no manager in place.

Once again what if incoming managers do not like the players recruited/signed by any DoF, when there was no manager in place.

I do not believe for one moment DoFs sign anyone, advise on logistics yes, sign no.

I think you need to read up on it. 

59 minutes ago, Oleg_Mcnoleg said:

So, we signing Scott Arfield? Can't tell from this thread.

Apparently it's extremely likely.

McCarthur also a possibility but that may depend on moving on Pena.

Just now, alskoosher said:

So who will be signing him.

Well, he's on loan until January so hopefully a permanent deal can be done with Cruz Azul (though that may be unlikely).

I suspect he'll become a very expensive pay off unless a Mexican team take a risk if we waive any transfer fee.

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If those are your two options, all of it. 

I am pretty happy with my understanding of it, seems Marl Allen agrees.

So, with that in mind, in what direction does Allen feel Rangers do indeed need to go?

"My first and foremost thing was to look at it and say we need to put a scouting fraternity in place, that was my first priority, which we've done,” he said. “We identified key people to come in and start that process and that needs to be ongoing. You are scouting players all the time, for now, for next season and maybe for one or two seasons ahead, up and coming youngsters etc. That's the function of the scouting department.

"I oversee that, but I don't run it on a daily basis, that's [chief scout] Andy Scoulding. The next element is liaising with the first-team manager. I have made that position abundantly clear, the decision on players is the manager's. It always will be. Who plays and what system you play, what style, what tactics, what players you sign are all the manager's decision.

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Well, he's on loan until January so hopefully a permanent deal can be done with Cruz Azul (though that may be unlikely).

I suspect he'll become a very expensive pay off unless a Mexican team take a risk if we waive any transfer fee.

I was referring to Scot Arfield :tu: 

7 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

I was referring to Scot Arfield :tu: 

In a general sense it could be argued it's the DoF's responsibility to oversee such matters and make recommendations to the manager/head coach with regard to staff.  This is quite a good article on the modern DoF's responsibilities:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/director-of-football-explained-hammers-14420685

Obviously not every DoF will have the same role and I'd definitely suggest working closely with the manager/head coach to identify transfer targets is agreeable but it's still not entirely clear what Allen's remit at Rangers is.