Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

46 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

You're working on the assumption that there is no new manager in place. Perhaps there is someone already working behind the scenes with the DoF?

I imagine the new manager will

make his views known at the interview and can ask questions , look at training and match data. I think there are generic principles and each club tweaks according to how they want to operate but the overall position as I understand it is that budgetary control of all things football lies with DoF therefore he is ultimately accountable for signings but the manager is accountable for the day to day use of the assets. They can debate with each other whether the asset is a pile of junk or whether the manager doesn’t use it properly. The manager of course can ask for things. It makes sense for DoF to be able to strongly recommend a purchase. He then becomes more accountable for failure eg if he buys a Barton. 

That is just my interpretation, I don’t think anything is cast in stone across the industry 

16 minutes ago, Frankie said:

In a general sense it could be argued it's the DoF's responsibility to oversee such matters and make recommendations to the manager/head coach with regard to staff.  This is quite a good article on the modern DoF's responsibilities:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/director-of-football-explained-hammers-14420685

Obviously not every DoF will have the same role and I'd definitely suggest working closely with the manager/head coach to identify transfer targets is agreeable but it's still not entirely clear what Allen's remit at Rangers is.

I posted above his remit as described by himself, it does not include signing players.

1 minute ago, alskoosher said:

I posted above his remit as described by himself, it does not include signing players.

Ah, I missed that.

In that case, the new manager must be involved if we're signing Bosmans.

4 hours ago, der Berliner said:

If he's underperforming, he'll get stick. And currently he is.

Nothing against the lad, a fine and pacy chap to have ... for later in the game to pick teams off. The way Murty uses him is wrong though. At this moment in time. Kevin Thomson said so last Sunday too. He takes up good positions time and again  and waits for the ball to come to him. That rarely happened and happens. And if that is the case, he shall not wait - time and again - for the next chance to come his way, but get into better positions or try to make things happen. That is what Morelos (sic!) and Cummings have learned long ago. Windass, if played as a shadow striker, should have learned that from Miller ages ago, as Kenny, for all his other shortcomings, always tries to make himself available and things to happen.  Or, like the other two, tries to get the ball himself.

What does Kevin Thomson know? He even talks to Craig. :P

3 hours ago, alskoosher said:

We are being told DoFs recruit, a fancy word for sign, when there is no manager in place.

Once again what if incoming managers do not like the players recruited/signed by any DoF, when there was no manager in place.

I do not believe for one moment DoFs sign anyone, advise on logistics yes, sign no.

Once again he can work with the director of football to get the squad that he wants.

I don't understand what is difficult about this.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

In a general sense it could be argued it's the DoF's responsibility to oversee such matters and make recommendations to the manager/head coach with regard to staff.  This is quite a good article on the modern DoF's responsibilities:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/news/director-of-football-explained-hammers-14420685

Obviously not every DoF will have the same role and I'd definitely suggest working closely with the manager/head coach to identify transfer targets is agreeable but it's still not entirely clear what Allen's remit at Rangers is.

That’s more or less how I read it and perhaps Rangers could offer more clarity. The final decision is the managers but the list of players is drawn up by the DoF based on the managers statement of requirements and he aligns the list to the available budget  Reality is they are going to be in constant dialogue. If of course there is no manager in place then the club presumably can adjust its procedures but we are in a pretty unusual position where we have had an interim manager for 6 months. Even then I would imagine Murty has the responsibilities of a permanent manager (as most interims would). It might be that DoF has put Arfield on a list because he fits the overall philosophy and Murty is still involved in recruitment because he’s the manager. The next manager then lives with that because every time you change manager you inherit previous assets. I think we might be overcooking the discussion. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Once again he can work with the director of football to get the squad that he wants.

I don't understand what is difficult about this.

There is no difficulty, Mark Allen has made it quite clear he does not sign players. 

I expect it's as simple as the manager saying I want to strengthen the central defence. Mark Allen says ok does the research and gives the manager a list to choose from. The manager examines the options and makes a choice.

It's the best way to go.  I want the coach focused on coaching not roving around looking for players. So we then need to trust Mark Allen to provide the best available options within our means.