The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Yeah, too bad that ID 10 has said on FF that the interest (sic!) is real. Obviously, "interest" is one thing, but getting a player ...

I think that is a very relevant point.

I'd hope that SG and his stafff would be looking to build something but at the sametime he'll want to make an immediate impact.

The main thing for me is that we know only too well that bringing in 'veterens' whose best days are in the past doesn't tend to work out the way we'd hope for (onfield), in the majority of cases........ Not to mention the business side.

It's not worth going into this too deeply until we start seeing who actually arrives, rather than who is in the headlines.

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It really begs the question why though. It’s really hard to imagine why Dundee would choose to release a Rangers quality left back. 

Some players suit different teams. Maybe they can't afford his wages? Maybe they don't think what he brings is suitable for them? His stats suggest he's not a great tackler, so perhaps that's something Dundee think they need? I don't know.

He's one of the best cross blockers in the league (John is the worst!!), and one of the best contributers to xG and xA, but clearly Dundee don't take their chances. 

He's a free agent. Why not take a punt on someone who the stats suggest is one of the best FB's in the league? There may indeed be a reason that the stats don't show. He can't be too expensive? And we're short in that area.

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Well they specifically said he wasn't offered a deal. Had a quick look at the responses to the announcement on Twitter and the Dundee fans don't seem to care, they're more concerned about Holt who apparently started ahead of him for almost all of the second half of the season. Jon Aurtenetxe apparently got off to a great start and then started putting in some poor performances.

Actually Holt's another who's one of the best FB's in the league, stat-wise. I'd take a punt on him too! 

I'll take everyone!!

Heck, I actually forgot to add Dominic Solanke ... on a season-long-loan from Liverpool. or so they think ...

Jermain Defoe and Dominic Solanke wanted by Rangers boss Steven Gerrard

Record Sport understands Gerrard has held preliminary third party talks aimed at striking deals to land the two attackers on loan.

Steven Gerrard wants England veteran Jermain Defoe and Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke to spearhead his Rangers attack next season.

Record Sport understands Gerrard has held preliminary third party talks aimed at striking deals to land the two attackers on loan as he gears up for a title showdown with his former Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers.

And he remains hopeful of landing Defoe even though the 35-year-old has two years left to run on a contract worth around £80,000-a-week at English top flight outfit Bournemouth.

It's understood the south coast club are confident Defoe is settled at the Vitality Stadium and will opt to stay put despite a frustrating first season at the club during which injuries restricted him to just 11 appearances.

Sources at Bournemouth insist he has even spent the last few weeks hunting for a new family home in the area.

But Gerrard wants to offer his old international team mate the chance of an Indian summer in the white hot atmosphere of the Glasgow rivalry.

And Gerrard also hopes to convince Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to allow 20-year-old Solanke to move north to further his development at Ibrox.

Solanke joined Liverpool from Chelsea a year ago but has had to play second fiddle to Klopp’s first choice front three of Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane.

Sources on Merseyside believe Gerrard’s close relationship with Klopp could help swing a loan deal in Rangers’ favour.

Gerrard has also been linked with another possible loan deal for former Liverpool team-mate Lucas Leiva, who has been a big hit at Lazio since moving to Italy last summer.

And Record Sport revealed he has placed another ex-team mate Martin Skrtel on his wanted list even though the Slovakian veteran has a year remaining on a £60,000-a-week contract with Turkish big guns Fenerbahce.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jermain-defoe-dominic-solanke-wanted-12548783

22 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Yeah, too bad that ID 10 has said on FF that the interest (sic!) is real

Who is this?

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Some players suit different teams. Maybe they can't afford his wages?

He probably was one of the highest earners in the side given his history so it was probably a cost benefit analysis. They definitely need more defensively minded full backs.

However I don't like the idea of half decent senior players on the bench (Hodson style). I'd rather have a few quality subs with the rest of bench being made up of young hot prospects.

£80k a week for Defoe and £60k for Skrtel?  That is ridiculous, we certainly couldn't afford that. We should be looking for young players with potential from abroad. With the promise to showcase them with a view to a transfer to the EPL they will come.

2 hours ago, les186 said:

£80k a week for Defoe and £60k for Skrtel?  That is ridiculous, we certainly couldn't afford that.

To be fair there is no suggestion Rangers would be paying those sums. However under a loan or transfer Rangers would probably pay around 20-25k, which is hard to justify for even more players with no sell on value.

We need to be building something with a mid to long term perspective or - like Hibs and Aberdeen - any success will be short term and built on the sand of loans and aging players. This approach weakens the club over the mid to long term whereas an investment-based recruitment strategy makes the club stronger gradually even if it doesn't offer the same prospect of instant results.

RB Leipzig are a great example of this approach. They barely sign a player over the age of 23, and with a transfer deficit of £94m over the past 6 years have assembled a squad with an apparent value of £316m which finished 6th in their first season in the Bundesliga. With their patient approach, Bayern and Dortmund will fear them far more than if they were signing ageing players and loan players scrambling for instant success.

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

Did he confirm interest in both?

From earlier in this thread:

Skrtel not at that price
McBurnie not at that price
Harry Wilson Liverpool
Adam Lewis Liverpool

There is some which I can’t firm up & won’t break confidence on yet, but it is said we are talking with 7 players agents at minute

What I will say is that they sound good!

Regarding Allan McGregor:

Deal is on table for him from us, 2 year deal
Hull have offered him a lucrative deal to stay
Nothing concrete either way

Regarding Lucas Leiva (ex-Liverpool, now Lazio)

More likely his fee is closer to £3m

Q: Is there something in this?

ID10 liked that question

Regarding Defoe I would have to double check (later).

Meanwhile ... from Alfie_WATP

Nothing that hasn’t now been put into the press, via Devlin’s story tonight.

1 year loan deal. Clubs negotiating at present. Player wants to come, it’s whether Bournemouth are happy to do a deal with the right structure.

Skrtel sticking point is the fee, similarly with Lucas. These are nowhere near being completed but the manager wants them.

As well as the previously mentioned Harry Wilson and Adam Lewis.

A lot of groundwork will be done over the next few weeks, I would reckon more transfers will be competed once this process is concluded.

Regarding the age of some people, some FFer compiled the age veterans of our last two title-winning seasons:

Rangers title #54; 2010/11 season:

Sasa Papac (31) *46 appearances*
Lee McCulloch (33) *30 appearances*
David Weir (41) (captain) *53 appearances*
Kenny Miller (31) *25 apperances* - Top Goalscorer that season.
David Healy (31) *10 appearances*
El Hadji Diouf (30) *22 appearances*
James Beattie (33) *10 appreances* (left in Winter window)
Neil Alexander (33) *7 apperances*

Rangers title #53 2009/10 season:

Neil Alexander (32) *9 Appearances*
David Weir (40) *51 Appearances*
Sasa Papac (30) *47 Appearances*
Lee McCulloch (32) *47 Appearances*
Pedro Mendes (31) *8 Appearances* (left in Winter to Sporting)
Jerome Rothen (32) *8 Appearances* (left in Winter to PSG)
Nacho Novo (31) *49 Apperances*
Kenny Miller (30) *45 Appearances* (2nd top scorer, behind Boyd)