The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Your last one is an interesting point DMAA.... and why I say that is... it will be interesting if we are in that loan market and Liverpool in particular.

The rumoured loan fees that Celtic paid for both PR7 (lol :D ) and Musonda were in the millions.... one has to wonder whether Gerrard can get that type of quality for a lesser loan fee.... at the end of the day this is a BUSINESS so if Liverpool can get 3 or 4 million in a loan fee from a fellow EPL, or Championship, club then why would they send that player to us - just because one of their ex-players is our manager.

Will be interesting to see if Liverpool would do that - I don't see why they should.

Those players Celtic picked up were made high profile by an adoring (puke) Scottish media..... Musonda, in particular, was a complete bust for them.  As long as Rodgers keeps picking up loan players of that standard and at those fees, they will eat themselves alive in cost with absolutely no resale value.  Here's hoping.

46 minutes ago, craig said:

As long as Rodgers keeps picking up loan players of that standard and at those fees, they will eat themselves alive in cost with absolutely no resale value.  Here's hoping.

Agree with that, Rodgers' has gone short term and non-profit with most of his signings.

He'll most likely make a big profit on Ajer and Dembele, whilst Kouassi, Ntcham, Morgan and maybe Hendry will likely be sold for some kind of profit.

Sinclair, Gamboa, De Vries, Musonda, Hayes, Commper, Benyu, Edouard, Roberts won't make the club money and in the case of the loan signings were very much large sums of money thrown away in search of short term success.

3 hours ago, craig said:

You will have a team full of left backs.  Just as well we already have Shagger locked in, or you would re-instate Lee Wallace.... as our goalie :D

Don't be silly.

Wallace would play CB. :D 

I have seen some commenting that paying high wages for loan deals is effectively short termism and not the way to move forward. I agree on most levels but at this time isn’t a brief period of such a strategy good for the long term if we were to win the league next season?

Depriving the yahoos of 10 in a row and CL income while giving us a shot at that income?

Here's an article, that was just published, about Aurtenxetse. Solid, modern FB.

(It also backs up @Tannochsidebear's opinion that Candeias is a less than average crosser; he gets a fair number in, but his accuracy is average.)

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2018/5/17/dundees-questionable-decision-to-let-go-of-jon-aurtenetxe

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Re "average crossers" ... that's all nice and well a stat. But if those passes he does complete are more decisive than that of "better crossers" and result in goals, I'd take that.

That's the point; they're not. Candeias gets a lot of crosses in, but his accuracy is lacking.

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I have seen some commenting that paying high wages for loan deals is effectively short termism and not the way to move forward. I agree on most levels but at this time isn’t a brief period of such a strategy good for the long term if we were to win the league next season?

Depriving the yahoos of 10 in a row and CL income while giving us a shot at that income?

My view on that is that it's common sense to utilise the loan market, but only in a limited manner. You'd probably be foolish not to aim to have one quality loan player in your starting line-up. If Gerrard can get a hold of a player like Solanke in this way then nobody would argue with that.

It's reliance on loans (Aberdeen & Hibs style) that I have a big problem with. If half your starting line-up is made up of other people's players you have nothing to build on and improve from, you're almost starting from scratch every summer transfer window. Hyndman and Toral would have cost us far more than people realise, but that money has not made 10IAR less likely it's made it more likely because the money is gone and so are they.

We should be spending our limted money on players who are capable of winning the league in 2/3 years time, not a squad of players who can maybe get within 10 points of Celtic now but will be long gone or retiring in 2/3 years time.

For example, whilst the prospect of Skrtel replacing Martin sounds pretty darn good, all the millions we'd have spent to get a 33 year old Skrtel in 2018 will not help us stop 10IAR in 2021 when Skrtel will be 36, Alves 39 whilst Ajer will be 23, Hendry 26, Simunovic 26, Boyata 30. The money will have been spent on the 18/19 & 19/20 seasons with no thought for what happens next.

Edited by DMAA