The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

For example, whilst the prospect of Skrtel replacing Martin sounds pretty darn good, all the millions we'd have to spent to get a 33 year old Skrtel in 2018 will not help us stop 10IAR in 2021 when Skrtel will be 36, Alves 39 whilst Ajer will be 23, Hendry 26, Simunovic 26, Boyata 30. The money will have been spent on the 18/19 & 19/20 seasons with no thought for what happens next.

Not sure how you can determine “with no thought to what happens next”.

All supposition, just like my suggestion now that Alves won’t be with us when he is 39.  He will be gone, hopefully to be replaced with a younger CB.  Indeed, it could be argued the chasing of Skrtel is to replace Alves as the experienced head at the back... whether that is the upcoming season or the season after.

You also can’t say that Skrtel wouldn’t help us stop 10IAR - that could happen with quality signings such as himself.

whilst Davie Weir was a phenom, the reality is that playing CB if never really blessed with pace but with great positional awareness, you CAN play to a very high level into your late 30’s.

Turning our back on someone like Skrtel, with his quality, would be a terrible mistake (finances of that deal notwithstanding) because his quality isn’t in doubt - and it’s that level of quality we badly need.

still don’t think we will get him though.  But I personally see him as that on-field leader we need.  Him in front of McGregor would make us far, far tougher to break down IMO.  I would have much greater confidence that we wouldn’t be leaking goals.

Just now, DMAA said:

For example, whilst the prospect of Skrtel replacing Martin sounds pretty darn good, all the millions we'd have to spent to get a 33 year old Skrtel in 2018 will not help us stop 10IAR in 2021 when Skrtel will be 36, Alves 39 whilst Ajer will be 23, Hendry 26, Simunovic 26, Boyata 30. The money will have been spent on the 18/19 & 19/20 seasons with no thought for what happens next.

Going for the quick fix would essentially be a high-risk gamble that even if it did work (unlikely), might not have any continuity.

I get the Gerrard gamble and can understand it but I don't think compounding the risk would be wise.

Give the guy some breathing space (1 season) and look for him to build something that would have a better chance of continued success (football & finance).

Throwing money we don't have at too many relatively old men won't end well.

Getting 2 or 3 experienced campaigners in along with some players with scope for improvement/resale value is surely the way to go.

I suppose it comes down to risk....

Do you take an "older" player, that is more of a known entity @ a fairly significant cost, with little to no financial gain at the end of it.  Or do you take on a younger promising talent & spend money/resources trying to develop them into the player you hope they will become - there is no guarantee of the desired outcome.

That's where a balanced approach is required....Older/proven player shorter term, alongside a younger prospect - similar to Davie Weir & Danny Wilson (in the early days)

Edited by Darthter

51 minutes ago, craig said:

just like my suggestion now that Alves won’t be with us when he is 39.

That's missing my point though. My point wasn't that Alves will be here in 2021. It's that in 2018 we are ploughing our money into people who will be no use to us in 2021. Whereas Celtic are still leading the way by putting their money into players who can deliver today but who guarantee them continued success in years to come. And that is either by staying or by bagging them another windfall.

And that's why even a player of Skrtel's quality doesn't make 10IAR less likely (remember that I'm assuming we're talking at the very least £2m transfer fee and 20-25k a week which is £1m+ a year) . The only way it does is if he can help us miraculously win the league this year or next or deliver Europa League success which would generate revenue for the club. Otherwise we've only achieved a very expensive 2nd place with less and less money available to take us to the next level in the following seasons. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

That's the point; they're not. Candeias gets a lot of crosses in, but his accuracy is lacking.

I'd suggest it's his decision-making that is the root cause of that.  Quite often we only have Morelos in the box and out-manned so it's a low %age positive outcome of any cross.  He'd occasionally be better delaying the cross, doing it quicker or even not at all.

It's  been confirmed.....

Rangers have signed Jamie Murphy from Brighton on a three-year contract, the Ibrox club have announced.

I'm pleased about this.  He's a very good player but I hope Gerrard plays him in a more central role.

15 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

It's  been confirmed.....

Rangers have signed Jamie Murphy from Brighton on a three-year contract, the Ibrox club have announced.

I'm pleased about this.  He's a very good player but I hope Gerrard plays him in a more central role.

Definitely worth exploring playing him more centrally, particularly as he's not the quickest but does have good feet and is more than capable of gliding past players.   He links play well and takes up intelligent positions.   

I expect the transfer of Halliday to Hibs will be announced soon.  It would have been amazing for Halliday to fulfill his ambitions of playing for the club and I'm delighted for him he got that chance.  I just don't see him getting many (if any) further games so it's a good deal all around if he moves on.  I actually think he's Lennon's sort of player so they should get on quite well.

Good luck Andy, and by that I mean I hope you play well, and win all your games, except those against us.

Edited by Gaffer

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

That's missing my point though. My point wasn't that Alves will be here in 2021. It's that in 2018 we are ploughing our money into people who will be no use to us in 2021. Whereas Celtic are still leading the way by putting their money into players who can deliver today but who guarantee them continued success in years to come. And that is either by staying or by bagging them another windfall.

And that's why even a player of Skrtel's quality doesn't make 10IAR less likely (remember that I'm assuming we're talking at the very least £2m transfer fee and 20-25k a week which is £1m+ a year) . The only way it does is if he can help us miraculously win the league this year or next or deliver Europa League success which would generate revenue for the club. Otherwise we've only achieved a very expensive 2nd place with less and less money available to take us to the next level in the following seasons. 

Celtic are leading the way ?  You do realise that they recently had Kolo Toure and have brought in the likes of Musonda and PR7 on significant loan payments ?  I don't think that is leading the way at all.  Sure, they have some good, sellable assets - but they also have a plethora of busts that they let go or left for "undisclosed sums" - because they have a compliant media.  We also have Jack, Rossiter, McCrorie, Tavernier, Morelos - all of whom are young and have talent and most certainly are sellable assets.

It isn't missing the point at all.  You are talking about 2021 as if that is the only season we can stop 10IAR.  It isn't.  There are 3 opportunities to do so.  Plus, how can you say Skrtel will be no use to us in 2021 - he will be 36 and, as I pointed out to you, Weir didn't retire from top flight football till he was in his 40's.

As Darthter says, there is risk no matter who you sign.  Celtic had someone that Real Madrid wanted ( :D ) in Musonda - how did that work out ?  Not every signing needs to be a youngster with talent - because you can waste a hell of a lot of money trying that approach too.

Having an experienced spine did Souness no harm and, IMO, is where we have been weakest - we need to be stronger down the middle of the team - Skrtel would help in that regard, no doubt about it for me.