The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Always weirds me out this...

I remember Heskey getting slaughtered for '' being useless '' but there is more to being a forward than goals, especially in this day and age of how the game is played.

On the other hand, Boyd used to get slaughtered for doing nothing but score goals.

A fickle game this football lark. 

9 minutes ago, Sindarin said:

Always weirds me out this...

I remember Heskey getting slaughtered for '' being useless '' but there is more to being a forward than goals, especially in this day and age of how the game is played.

On the other hand, Boyd used to get slaughtered for doing nothing but score goals.

A fickle game this football lark. 

If an attacking player ain't gonna score a lotta goals himself, he better have some pretty damned good assist stats....

Just now, Darthter said:

If an attacking player ain't gonna score a lotta goals himself, he better have some pretty damned good assist stats....

Morelos has a fairly good balance between the respectable numbers of goals and assists.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that he is a very good young centre forward.

If he was to stay and be interested, I'd take him as our main man up top. 

1 hour ago, Darthter said:

Or perhaps just contribute to the effectiveness of the team?

Why would Juventus sign Llorente if he's not going to score goals or assist? Why would Real Madrid want Morata back for £30M? Because they help the team function, and give another option up front. 

An attacking player doesn't need to score or assist to be an important member of the team.

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Lafferty is the most recent that comes to mind. 

14 minutes ago, buster. said:

Name a couple that have been such for us.

Cousin and Darcheville too didn't contribute many goals, but were important players for Walter. 

1 minute ago, buster. said:

He was good for closing out league titles but otherwise an expensive luxury.

I'm not sure I'd ever call a player "good for closing out league titles" a "luxury"...

He played a lot of games for us, so Walter mustn't have thought so.