The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I support Windass at the games (I admit I do sometimes mutter expletives though).  Messageboards are a place to discuss things going on at the club - you are entitled to your view, as am I (providing we keep it civil).

Support of a player doesn't begin and end inside the white lines though, not IMO anyway.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Who are the better options you believe are out there with Premiership experience, out of contract and on reasonable wages ?

If I knew that I'd be sitting in Spain with Gerrard and the team right now... ;)

But, obviously, a player needn't have Premiership experience and be out of contract to have still been a better option.

In any case, the lad has now signed so I hope he does very well at Rangers and I'm hopeful he'll prove me wrong.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

If I knew that I'd be sitting in Spain with Gerrard and the team right now... ;)

But, obviously, a player needn't have Premiership experience and be out of contract to have still been a better option.

In any case, the lad has now signed so I hope he does very well at Rangers and I'm hopeful he'll prove me wrong.

Out of contract is the market we are in though, for the most part.

To get someone with EPL experience AND being out of contract is shrewd business IMO.  You tend to only get those types if they come with baggage.  His baggage is heinous, but very different from Pena's.  Pena's is a consistent problem, Flanagan's seems to be an isolated incident.  Which makes it far less of a gamble.

Not only that but he provides a definite upgrade on Hodson and, quite possibly, even both Tavernier and John.

Not having a go at you personally Frankie - but when people say "there are better options out there" and then can't name any, it is frustrating.  It appears, to me at least, that whoever says it just wants it to be the case, without any justification.

For clarity, my biggest issue with the signing of Flanagan isn't what happened with his wife but the serious knee injuries he's had and subsequent poor performance.  It's good news he passed his medical though and I'd hope he can do well in our league but I think the move represents a risk we didn't need to take.

Yes, I might not be able to name a dozen other right backs that could have been a better option but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  After all, we've just signed an unknown centre half from a fairly minor team in Croatia.  Then there are guys like Naismith, O'Donnell, Hutton and even someone like Cammy Kerr who might have offered good value whilst being known quantities. 

Now everyone has their faults (e.g. Naismith also had a bad knee injury in 2015) so it's a balancing act.  In this case the manager has decided Flanagan is worth the risk so that's good enough for me.

Ok, so leaving behind the baggage this lad brings now that he has signed, do we think this is really for cover, or will we be looking to move Tav on for a good fee?

The reason I ask is that, from the court reports when JF was getting done for assault, he was earning £28K PER WEEK as a Liverpool reserve player. If he has freedom of contract and comes to us directly from this contract, what sort of wage cut are we talking about. A backup player in our squad should be on no more than £2-3Kpw. We dont have a massive wage budget so I cant see us giving this guy a huge (by our standards, not his previous earnings standards) contract just to be back up.

Does the lure of SG mean this lad is willing to give up a huge amount of cash to be a backup?

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.