The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

23 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Kicking your partner while she's prone on the ground because you pushed her into a wall is a bit different from kicking a car, Pete.

It's difficult not to sound sanctimonious when discussing people like Flanagan but I think this transfer is unnecessary for a few reasons - not just his personal toxicity.  It may well turn out to be a great piece of business though but the division it brings represents a gamble.

At the end of the day the manager has decided he's worth the punt so we're just going to have to respect his decision.

Kicking a car is also a criminal offence. Where does this morality line begin? If anything the Gascoigne situation was far worse because it happened at our club. It was pulling down the public image of our club. If he was or is a serial wife-beater then I agree full heartedly but a one off situation when both he and probably his wife were drunk a number of years ago deserves a chance to redeem himself. All of a sudden every Rangers supporter seems to be a moral saint and judge and jury. Bring back Hanging I say.

Morality in football is very much dependent on what club it happens at and we're all guilty of hypocrisy when it comes to some issues.

What Gascoigne and Flanagan did to their partners is inexcusable and in no way comparable to damaging a car.  If you want a line, then that's it. Sure, there's an argument that what our players do outside the club is their own business and, in some respects, that allowed us to be lenient with Gascoigne at the time - though his relationship with Rangers and football generally changed somewhat after that.

This time, one off or not, we know the player's background beforehand and, if we couple that toxicity with his injury problems then it makes the signing an unnecessary risk.  That remains the case even if we take the abuse/morality aspect out of it.

As such, I find it a strange move by Gerrard but, if it works, then it may prove a lucrative one.

His injury problems worry me more than his past. I would rather someone kicked hell out of my wife than damage my car.(That is a joke by the way?)

I will leave it at that as I have had my say. I am seemingly more forgiving than others. The only other point is that people say it is terrible but if Stevie G finds it good then great. How is that for hypocrisy.

49 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

They are engaged to be married.

OK, so given that they're still together, does that affect anyone's opinion - without condoning what he did?

(Even though it could be a case of - to paraphrase Mrs Merton - "...what attracted you to well paid, professional footballer, Joe Flanagan?")

4 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Yes, but as Frankie pointed out, his wife-beating occurred while he was with us. I was one of only a few that said we should have sacked him immediately for it. Absolutely zero tolerence for this type of stuff.

There are legal processes - not sure that under employment law the club could even have done that, zero tolerance or not.

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Really Pete? To compare him to Kluivert is the ultimate strawman, why not compare him to the thousands of other footballers who didn't get drunk and beat up a woman instead? 

Everyone may well do things they later regret but there are consequences and just because the guy might be a decent player his actions shouldn't be overlooked. He shouldn't be anywhere near Rangers, we should have standards of decency that exclude wife-beaters from wearing our jersey. We should absolutely look at everyone's history and if it turns out they're dangerous fuckwits we shouldn't sign them. To suggest everyone has a history that's anywhere close to this low-lifes is total bollocks Pete. 

His actions weren't overlooked though, were they ?  He was punished, rightly, through the courts.

It amazes me how moralistic we all become when it isn't us, but a public person.  I'm willing to bet that most of us have done things which were also unsavoury, but we are more then willing to forgive and/or forget our own misdemeanours.... but become holier than thou when it comes to public personas.

It seems, if you listen to almost everyone with insight into this situation and this person, that it was totally out of character.  If that is indeed the case then he deserves a second chance, just as we were willing to do with Gazza, or our own family and friends who do similar.