The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

Morality in football is very much dependent on what club it happens at and we're all guilty of hypocrisy when it comes to some issues.

What Gascoigne and Flanagan did to their partners is inexcusable and in no way comparable to damaging a car.  If you want a line, then that's it. Sure, there's an argument that what our players do outside the club is their own business and, in some respects, that allowed us to be lenient with Gascoigne at the time - though his relationship with Rangers and football generally changed somewhat after that.

This time, one off or not, we know the player's background beforehand and, if we couple that toxicity with his injury problems then it makes the signing an unnecessary risk.  That remains the case even if we take the abuse/morality aspect out of it.

As such, I find it a strange move by Gerrard but, if it works, then it may prove a lucrative one.

It isn't a strange move at all.  That is just trying to fit a position into your argument.

Gerrard played with Flanagan

Gerrard trained with Flanagan

Gerrard knows Flanagan from both of the above

Gerrard knows what happened in this personal incident

Gerrard knows we need better back-up than Lee Hodson

Gerrard knows what Flanagan can bring

So, no, it isn't a strange move at all.  Not by a long shot.  I find your suggestion that this move is strange to be...well... strange.

Of course there are a few good reasons for Gerrard to sign him but because of the lad's toxicity, injury record and poor recent contribution on the pitch I find it a strange move. 

Other people are, of course, welcome to disagree and the signing may prove to be a lucrative master-stroke but I think there may have been better options which fulfil the positive column and have fewer negatives, meaning less division.

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Of course there are a few good reasons for Gerrard to sign him but because of the lad's toxicity, injury record and poor recent contribution on the pitch I find it a strange move. 

Other people are, of course, welcome to disagree and the signing may prove to be a lucrative master-stroke but I think there may have been better options which fulfil the positive column and have fewer negatives, meaning less division.

Who are the better options you believe are out there with Premiership experience, out of contract and on reasonable wages ?

39 minutes ago, craig said:

Who are the better options you believe are out there with Premiership experience, out of contract and on reasonable wages ?

I thought Jason Naismith had done enough. He was signed for about 200k by Peterborough. Doubt he would have come here to be an understudy to Tavernier but he looked like a future Scottish international to me. 

A quick glance at the players currently with us. CAPITALS denote their prime role in a 4-4-2 system (I had to chose one), normal letters their utility roles.

I just took the from the roster with no preference of names and people. Likewise, some folk may well be off or haven't gone to Spain, but as long as we have them in the team ...

Goalies

McGREGOR

FODERINGHAM

ALNWICK

Robbie McCRORIE

Defenders

TAVERNIER - CARDOSO - ALVES - WALLACE

HODSON - GOLDSON - A. WILSON - JOHN

FLANAGAN – Flanagan – KATIC - Flanagan

Beerman - Tavernier - A. WILSON - Hodson

xxxxxx - Ross McCrorie – xxxxxx – BEERMAN

xxxxxx - xxxxx – xxxxxx – Halliday

Midfielders

CANDEIAS - JACK - DORRANS - MURPHY

Docherty - Ross McCRORIE - WINDASS - Halliday

Arfield - HALLIDAY - ROSSITER - John

Dorrans - DOCHERTY - ARFIELD - Beerman

Morelos - Arfield - BARJONAS - Dorrans

Beerman - BURT - EJARIA - Candeias

Murphy – xxxxxx – Murphy – Windass

Forrester – xxxxxx – Forrester - FORRESTER

Strikers

MORELOS - HERRERA

xxxxxx - HARDIE

7 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

A quick glance at the players currently with us. CAPITALS denote their prime role in a 4-4-2 system (I had to chose one), normal letters their utility roles.

I just took the from the roster with no preference of names and people. Likewise, some folk may well be off or haven't gone to Spain, but as long as we have them in the team ...

Goalies

McGREGOR

FODERINGHAM

ALNWICK

Robbie McCRORIE

Defenders

TAVERNIER - CARDOSO - ALVES - WALLACE

HODSON - GOLDSON - A. WILSON - JOHN

FLANAGAN – Flanagan – KATIC - Flanagan

Beerman - Tavernier - A. WILSON - Hodson

xxxxxx - Ross McCrorie – xxxxxx – BEERMAN

xxxxxx - xxxxx – xxxxxx – Halliday

Midfielders

CANDEIAS - JACK - DORRANS - MURPHY

Docherty - Ross McCRORIE - WINDASS - Halliday

Arfield - HALLIDAY - ROSSITER - John

Dorrans - DOCHERTY - ARFIELD - Beerman

Morelos - Arfield - BARJONAS - Dorrans

Beerman - BURT - EJARIA - Candeias

Murphy – xxxxxx – Murphy – Windass

Forrester – xxxxxx – Forrester - FORRESTER

Strikers

MORELOS - HERRERA

xxxxxx - HARDIE

Just shows how lacking we are in striking options....

1 minute ago, craig said:

Unless his name is Windass it would seem.....

I support Windass at the games (I admit I do sometimes mutter expletives though).  Messageboards are a place to discuss things going on at the club - you are entitled to your view, as am I (providing we keep it civil).