The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

12 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Yes, but as Frankie pointed out, his wife-beating occurred while he was with us. I was one of only a few that said we should have sacked him immediately for it. Absolutely zero tolerence for this type of stuff.

short term (1 season), with option for 2 or 3yr extension, depending on performance.

11 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Flanagan deal expected to be completed today according to STV after the player completed a 'rigorous' medical.

I never have much faith in the old 'rigorous medical' line.

On the two high profile occasions I can recall such medicals stopping a deal from going through, both players involved went on to score a barrel load of goals, ie. Tamudo and Hartson......whilst those with the bodies who would keep our medics busy tended to get through the 'rigorous medical'.

Edited by buster.

Just now, Frankie said:

Medicals are important (and I assume the technology has improved) but ultimately injury can occur randomly.

Yes, but if there was a study done over the last 30 years that was able to measure the performance of a medical department / number of games missed / etc.....I reckon we'd be near the bottom of any table.

Prodan was perhaps the best and worst example of throwing money at a problem / unprofessional approach.

I think it boils down to the club not being run with an optimun level of professionalism that it should be.

Back in the day, as long as we were winning (domestically), it was deemed ok.

Listen to the Simon Ferry intrerview of Ian Durrant and Derek Ferguson, re. fitness levels.

Without wanting "to break a lance" for Flanagan, some of the arguments levelled against him are a bit strange.

Decent players aged 25 don't come on a free? Sorry, but how exactly did we get Jack? Or how did we get Klos (who paid to be released by Dortmund to sign for us), Boumsong and a number of other freebies? How did they get Dembele?

Thing is that at a club like Liverpool (like with us), home-grown chaps have it pretty hard to make a break through in the age of double-figure million transfers. A quick glance at the Liverpool roster says: right fullbacks - Clyne, Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Flanagan & Randall. Left fullbacks - Robertson & Moreno. So what are the chances of Flanagan disposing either unless he's playing exceptionally well in a team of Champions League finalists?

Wife-beating ... there is no excuse and no-one is making one. But likewise it neither needs to be blown out of proportion. Unless I am mistaken, the wife he had beaten is still his partner, so the one person who really suffered has obviously forgiven him. Who are we then to climb on the moral steed and castigate the lad for his action beyond the scope of law and his relatives?

As I said above, should the Scottish media go bonkers about this, I'd ban them from the club straight away. Not least because of the way they handled (if at all) other stories of unsolved and sweeped cases.

23 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Really Pete? To compare him to Kluivert is the ultimate strawman, why not compare him to the thousands of other footballers who didn't get drunk and beat up a woman instead? 

Everyone may well do things they later regret but there are consequences and just because the guy might be a decent player his actions shouldn't be overlooked. He shouldn't be anywhere near Rangers, we should have standards of decency that exclude wife-beaters from wearing our jersey. We should absolutely look at everyone's history and if it turns out they're dangerous fuckwits we shouldn't sign them. To suggest everyone has a history that's anywhere close to this low-lifes is total bollocks Pete. 

So you don't believe people should be given a chance to redeem themselves. If it was a calculated deed that he did then I would agree with you. He was drunk and made a stupid decision. Was it Robertson the left back they called the Panel beater because he kicked hell out of a car while drunk. What about Stuart MçCall jumping on the roof of a car. We employed him after that. What about Colin Stein getting sent off on numerous occasions for retaliation and punching fellow players. Where do we draw the line. What he did was not good but if his wife can forgive him then who are we to play Judge and jury over him. Low-life! Bollocks! Take a look in the mirror John that language does not put you so high up the ranking list.

Kicking your partner while she's prone on the ground because you pushed her into a wall is a bit different from kicking a car, Pete.

It's difficult not to sound sanctimonious when discussing people like Flanagan but I think this transfer is unnecessary for a few reasons - not just his personal toxicity.  It may well turn out to be a great piece of business though but the division it brings represents a gamble.

At the end of the day the manager has decided he's worth the punt so we're just going to have to respect his decision.

14 hours ago, Craigy1881 said:

what are you talking about?  he joined in feb and played a decent number of matches and was even getting praised towards the end of march

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/16104752.Whites_defender_Flanagan_showing_he_is_a_class_act/

I was just stating the facts. He didn’t hold down a starting place and wasn’t even on the bench some games towards the end of the season for a team who had the 3rd weakest defence in the championship. 

Im happy enough as long as he is on modest wages. At 25 and with his history  he clearly has the potential to improve. 

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

Kicking your partner while she's prone on the ground because you pushed her into a wall is a bit different from kicking a car, Pete.

It's difficult not to sound sanctimonious when discussing people like Flanagan but I think this transfer is unnecessary for a few reasons - not just his personal toxicity.  It may well turn out to be a great piece of business though but the division it brings represents a gamble.

At the end of the day the manager has decided he's worth the punt so we're just going to have to respect his decision.

Yes and yes.

If you take the players coming in together, you don't want evident gambles in too many of them, maybe one or two. Last season there were too many and it compounds the risk on top of an inexperienced manager.

Bottomline is that we have to trust the manager but he has to be careful to try and ensure that a transfer window solves more problems than it creates. Hopefully, the football operation as a whole are able to minimise risk with facts whilst the messageboards use crystal balls.

We need to back him and back Gerrard. We all know someone who changes into a different person when they’ve had too much to drink. No previous history of violence, genuine remorse and she has stuck by him. He’s been punished and now it’s time to move on.