The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Of course but it may be the board see tomorrow's game as being the toughest tie to win.  Or at least, the play-off round achievable enough to sanction further serious funds for better players.

Maybe but I don't think it wise to commit to spend and effectively gambling on group stage revenue.

It's the type of move that has 'getting biten on the arse' written all over it.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

Maybe but I don't think it wise to commit to spend and effectively gambling on group stage revenue.

It's the type of move that has 'getting biten on the arse' written all over it.

Again I don't disagree but there's a difference between a gamble and sanctioning a move for a player that might also be hedging his bets for the moment.

For example, as it stands it seems we're being asked for £750K for Lafferty but aren't keen to pay it.  Perhaps we have a better option at £1-1.5m but they want to see where we are on Friday morning?  Or indeed, where they are on Sunday evening in their club's squad?

An extra two weeks can make the difference in a few crucial ways.  But, even then, it's still a gamble if, for example we lose Morelos or one of the centre-halves during that time.

23 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Again I don't disagree but there's a difference between a gamble and sanctioning a move for a player that might also be hedging his bets for the moment.

For example, as it stands it seems we're being asked for £750K for Lafferty but aren't keen to pay it.  Perhaps we have a better option at £1-1.5m but they want to see where we are on Friday morning?  Or indeed, where they are on Sunday evening in their club's squad?

An extra two weeks can make the difference in a few crucial ways.  But, even then, it's still a gamble if, for example we lose Morelos or one of the centre-halves during that time.

What is without doubt, is that we need several players in due to the lack of decent cover in certain positions.

I tend to think that SG&Co have been pressing for this to happen asp given the August timetable but for various reasons we've needed to/been forced to/decided to hold fire............That said, the board delivered quickly on what seemed an opportunistic buy (Barisic).

The thing about Lafferty is as you mention, have we got an alternative in the pipeline that would offer better value for money (opposed to 750K for KL) ?  I reckon if we had and we really thought it was better value, we'd have already gone there.

Centre forwards often come at a premium price and whilst I'm not usually keen on 30+ year olds, I can see a case for signing Lafferty. If that means 250K more than what we think he is worth, it's relatively little if SG&Co think he's the guy to do a job.

If you are looking at someone like the Bosnian at Zagreb, then maybe we need the group stage finances to be able to do that deal.

edit

How we could do with discovering a Derek Johnstone just now.

As good a centre half as he was centre forward.

Edited by buster.

My point was really that we’ve already made moves for both positions with a net proposed spend of only a few hundred thousand. 

If they were waiting to see how Europe went they wouldn’t have already bid for Lafferty or Simpson surely. I’d have thought we would still be looking to spend a good amount of money but it doesn’t look like it. 

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, buster. said:

What is without doubt, is that we need several players in due to the lack of decent cover in certain positions.

I tend to think that SG&Co have been pressing for this to happen asp given the August timetable but for various reasons we've needed to/been forced to/decided to hold fire............That said, the board delivered quickly on what seemed an opportunistic buy (Barisic).

Something we need to keep in mind is the number of players already brought in & the associated costs - We can't simply expect to exit SG's 1st window with a FULL squad of players at the level we would like.  It may be a case of we have a strong 1st 11, with some good backup, some adequate.  Lets see where that takes us.

I thought we offered 3.5mill for Cooper from Milwall a couple of weeks ago, I think we will just be getting this tie out the road and then re evaluate the situation, if we don't make the EL I would expect 2 players, if we do then 4. Is there going to be extra funds made available from the share issue

For the sake of the topic, some transfer stuff ... even though it is not much flesh to the bones.

Kyle Lafferty set to join Rangers within 48 hours as club re-open talks with Hearts

Steven Gerrard is keen to bolster his frontline with just Alfredo Morelos and Umar Sadiq available.

Rangers have reopened transfer talks with Hearts over Kyle Lafferty and are confident the striker will be on his way to Ibrox in the next 48 hours.

Gers have been frustrated in their attempts to land the 30-year-old so far after the Jambos knocked back a £200,000 bid last month and this week rejected a cash plus player offer, believed to involve Lee Wallace.

Record Sport understands Tynecastle chiefs are holding out for £750,000 for the Northern Ireland international, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Rangers are set to go back to the negotiating table and are convinced a deal can be thrashed out by the end of the week.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kyle-lafferty-set-join-rangers-13081578

Bury Loan Move For Barjonas

RANGERS can today confirm that Jamie Barjonas has joined English League Two side Bury on loan until January.

Read more here: https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/bury-loan-move-for-barjonas/

Shakers Sign Barjonas On Loan

Bury Football Club can announce the signing of Rangers midfielder Jamie Barjonas on a loan deal until January.

The 19-year-old Scottish midfielder has been training with the Shakers after some impressive performances in pre-season and has done enough to convince Ryan Lowe to add him to his squad for the first part of the season.

He made his competitive ‘Gers debut in May 2017 and he has since gone on to make a total of 9 first-team appearances and has represented Scotland at various age levels.

Speaking to us this morning, Ryan said: “I'm delighted to have signed Jamie on loan until January. We were looking for another player in that area, and with the links between Bury and Rangers, and myself and Steven Gerrard, upon enquiry Jamie came highly recommended.

“I think when someone like Steven Gerrard recommends to you a midfielder with the career he has had then you don't look twice at it; you've got to take it, and that's what we've done.

“Jamie came down to train with us for a few days, and he was outstanding in training; he fitted the bill for what we are after. I'm really looking forward to working with him from now until January.”

Jamie added: “I'm very happy to have signed for Bury on loan. Having spoken to the Manager and all the players, I'm very excited to get started down here, and I will do everything I can to help this club to succeed.”

Sporting Director, Lee Dykes added “We are delighted that Rangers have entrusted us with the next stage of Jamie’s development and special thanks must go to Mark Allen, Craig Mulholland and Steven for their help on this deal. Jamie is a player that fits the criteria for what we have been looking for and I look forward to seeing him in action very soon”.