The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

New Rangers system is imminent

For some reason Glasgow Rangers manager Steven Gerrard wants Joe Worrall’s loan deal completed today or tomorrow, with the Daily Mail stating the defender’s medical is set to take place imminently.

Does this mean the Gers boss wants the Nottingham Forest centre-back with the rest of the squad in Russia?

Gerrard is probably more keen than ever to reinforce, having suffered the poor display from his normally reliable Rangers defence against the boisterous and over-enthusiastic Motherwell attackers.

The referee didn’t help the Gers by allowing their bullish behaviour go unpunished for too long.

However, Gerrard had already identified his target before that match, and Aitor Karanka was insistent that whoever Worrall signed for, would have to play the defender in enough first team games to merit the move – it appears Rangers will have given this guarantee.

Does this mean that Gerrard will play all three centre-backs?

Yes, is the short answer, and let me explain why. Connor Goldson is 6’ 3” and Nikola Katic is an inch taller – by introducing 6’4” Joe Worrall to the Rangers backline, Gerrard has the height he wants to eliminate the cross ball weakness in his side.

James Tavernier and Borna Barisic will be his first choice wing-backs and this also lends itself to allowing Alfredo Morelos and Kyle Lafferty to add height to the Rangers attack. They will form a formidable pairing, with another 6’ 4” attacker Umar Sadiq to come on as substitute.

Gerrard’s only dilemma…

What three Rangers midfield players do you start with from: Ryan Jack, Lassana Coulibaly, Scott Arfield, Ovie Ejaria, Ryan Kent, Daniel Candeias, Andy Halliday, Jordan Rossiter and Glenn Middleton.

My choice is: Coulibaly and Arfield when they are both fit and Jack or Ejaria for the third place.

This enables Gerrard to change his undefeated line-up from a 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2 formation

Will this Sunday’s first Old Firm clash of the season come too quickly for Rangers boss Gerrard to change it, or will he wait until they have mastered the new experiment on the training field?

How much game-time has Worrall been promised and who makes way?

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/new-glasgow-rangers-system-is-imminent/

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Will this Sunday’s first Old Firm clash of the season come too quickly for Rangers boss Gerrard to change it, or will he wait until they have mastered the new experiment on the training field?

I think we have to go with the four and set-up in a more compact way. 

The Motherwell game saw a first half with too much space between and behind defenders / channels for their forwards.

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

I think we have to go with the four and set-up in a more compact way. 

The Motherwell game saw a first half with too much space between and behind defenders / channels for their forwards.

Probably. I would deem it more practical to try implementing it in the home game against Dundee on Sept. 15th. A side we could probably rack up some goals against to offset any blunders due to unfamiliarity plus time to practice it on the training ground beforehand.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

Probably. I would deem it more practical to try implementing it in the home game against Dundee on Sept. 15th. A side we could probably rack up some goals against to offset any blunders due to unfamiliarity plus time to practice it on the training ground beforehand.

What I think the Motherwell game showed, is that we need to put he hours in and drill the players / 3-5-2 system.

Looking at the players available prior to the game and thinking about the way Motherwell play, I thought we'd seriously consider 3-5-2 at Fir Park. Wasn't sure we'd use it given the limited time available to work on things between the EL game and the Sunday.

Reports beginning to circulate suggesting the yahoos are trying to steal Worral from us.

Celtic have seemingly tabled a last-gasp offer for Rangers defender target Joe Worrall, according to a Light Blues insider.

The Est Consultancy Twitter account, which is a very reliable source of Gers news, delivered an update on Wednesday morning of Steven Gerrard’s attempt to sign the Nottingham Forest centre-back by Friday’s deadline.

He explained that Worrall has been targeted as Gerrard weighs up a three-man defensive line but claims the player has a “few options on the table”, including an offer from the “unmentionables”, which could only mean Rangers’ bitter rivals Celtic.

This comes after the Scottish Daily Mail reported today that Worrall was hours away from signing for Gerrard’s team after a medical was scheduled.

OPINION

There would be much gnashing of teeth in the Ibrox boardroom if they’re beaten to the signing of Worrall by Celtic. Brendan Rodgers has made no attempt to hide his intention of recruiting a new centre-back by the end of the week following the Dedryck Boyata saga that has cast a cloud over the Hoops’ early-season matches.

Worrall is available after slipping to fifth in the centre-back pecking order at Nottingham Forest, but his pedigree is evident from his main man role at the Championship club last season as well the three England Under-21 caps he has accumulated. In an arm-wrestle between the Glasgow giants over Worrall’s signature, Celtic have the financial resources to hold sway and a track record of hoovering up trophies under Brendan Rodgers.

Rangers have the Gerrard factor and a much-improved team desperate to knock their rivals off their perch. The possibility of a last-gasp tug ‘o war between the duo is a fascinating one.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/08/blogs/scottish-premier-league/celtic-table-worrall-offer/

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Why is the supposedly 5th best centre back at Nottingham Forrest currently such an important and sought after target ?

I could understand it more if it wasn't a proposed loan.

Obviously we and the other teams have a different opinion than the current NF manager.

Why was coulibaly not first choice but third or fourth at angers? 

Edited by trublusince1982

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Why is the supposedly 5th best centre back at Nottingham Forrest currently such an important and sought after target ?

I could understand it more if it wasn't a proposed loan.

Have you read much about him? Captain of England U21s. Gerrard says he’s followed his England youth career and says he’s fantastic. Big guy at 6ft 4 has 1 and a half full seasons starting in the Championship with NF. Performances drew a £12m bid from Burnley. Karanka came in as manager and brought in his own players rather than relying on someone so young. Tbh Karanka reminds me a bit of Caixinha and I don’t think he’ll last. NF fans like Worrall and want him back, they seem to think he’s very unlucky to be out of the picture. 

Steven Gerrard says Rangers close to Eros Grezda signing

Steven Gerrard has confirmed Rangers are close to completing the £2m signing of Osijek winger Eros Grezda.

The 23-year-old's signing will come too late for him to feature against Russian side Ufa in Thursday's Europa League match, but Gerrard is excited about the Albanian's impending arrival.

Speaking ahead of the second leg of the play-off tie with Rangers 1-0 up from the first match, Gerrard said: "Grezda is currently having a medical and I don't want to say too much until it's over the line.

"But he is an excellent player and the fans will love him because he can contribute in the final third. "He's really quick, very direct and he comes in with international experience.

"According to Borna Barisic and Nikola Katic he was by a mile Osijek's best player last season.

"He is a very dangerous player and - while you never want to see anyone injured - we are thankful he wasn't available to play against us in the earlier round.

"All going well, hopefully he'll be a big player for us moving forward."

The 23-year-old has six caps for Albania, and would be a direct replacement for Jamie Murphy, who has been ruled out for the season with a knee injury sustained against Kilmarnock in the Betfred Cup.

If the deal goes through, Grezda would be Rangers' second signing from Osijek, after his former team-mate Borna Barisic joined Steven Gerrard's side earlier this month.

Rangers knocked Osijek out in the second round of Europa League qualifying but Grezda did not play in either leg of the tie due to injury.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/11485186/steven-gerrard-says-rangers-close-to-eros-grezda-signing