Alves - was I right?

My humble contribution about Alves from the Chile v Portugal thread last June:

“Saw twenty minutes. No tackles. Two headers out straight to opposition. One header missed - chance to Chile. One daft foul embracing opponent right in front of ref. Otherwise marking space.

Konterman? Surely not again.”

At least Bert was fit.

•  
Edited by Scott7

Turn that on its head: do you reckon that Portugal has had no decent centre-halfs for the best part of a decade so that  he was there at various international tournaments et al?

Football ability wise, I would go as far as saying Cardoso and Alves are probably better than any other centre-half at the club this season. McCrorie IMHO is much better as a DM, so I exclude him from the list.

What we IMHO failed to adress is that they probably never had an environment where they two were the only two chaps defending, while their fullbacks where somewhere up the park and the opposition time and again only tried to hit us on the counter, usually exploiting the wide open flanks. If Jack or the fullbacks weren't able to cover, they drew our CHs wide and left far too open spaces in the centre. Wilson, Bates et al were used to that better, having been here for years. And we never gave either Portuguese any great chance to get to a rhythm, which is somewhat strange in the case of Cardoso.

In the end, people will come up with stuff like they - and Herrera - are useless, when in fact we hardly did ourselves proud in utilizing them and their strengths.

What was the name of the Brazilian player we once signed thinking he was a top star and ended up rotten. I think we also signed him in January. Was it the 90's or 00's