Pena will 'not continue' with Cruz Azul loan deal

Some quotes from Gerrard in the express last week. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/955798/Rangers-news-Steven-Gerrard-vows-to-clear-out-flops-after-Celtic-humiliation

These players will know – when I get a chance to speak to those that are currently here and those that we add – what myself and my staff are about and what we demand. 

It’s very important from the off that they really buy into what we are trying to do here, and there’s a lot of areas where we need to improve.

I need players that are willing to adapt, that are going to believe in what we are trying to do.

But I have been around footballers for a long time – I’ll work out very quickly who fancies this challenge and who wants to come with me.

And if there are people who don’t fancy it and want to be somewhere else, good luck to them.

I want players who want to come with me on this journey, who want to take the challenge to everyone that’s in this league and are willing to give everything they’ve got. I’ll work out these people very quickly.

Anybody think that Carlos Peña fits the bill?

It's not impossible that he could turn it around but I think it's about the least probable thing that I can think of.

2 hours ago, pete said:

The challenge isn't Gerrard On Pena. The challenge is Pena against Alcohol and maybe drugs.

Is that all from second and third hand knoweldge and hearsay ... and a wee bit exaggeration? Re the latter, every young footballer has his we parties and is doing silly stuff, but if he like Pena comes with a bit of pedigree, anything he does will probably get unproportionally exaggerated. I'm not defending Pena here, but slating the guy on as vague an info as we get and got is not for me. Whether he really bought a can of beer after training or indeed relieving himself in a pool in Mexico while being drunk.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Gerrard has said repeatedly that squad harmony is a top priority at Liverpool and will be when he takes over at Rangers. I don't think Pena's feet will touch the ground.

Reading, and listening, to what Gerrard has been saying would make you think that this will happen.

Nothing is certain though and I am praying that this is what really happens.

I was happy to give him a chance while Pedro was still here but I think that we have all been far too patient already.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Some quotes from Gerrard in the express last week. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/955798/Rangers-news-Steven-Gerrard-vows-to-clear-out-flops-after-Celtic-humiliation

Anybody think that Carlos Peña fits the bill?

It's not impossible that he could turn it around but I think it's about the least probable thing that I can think of.

Is that not the words of every new manager though. I think it comes out of the  Football Coaching for Dummies yearbook, brought out every May. It is whether they can produce the goods that is important and not what they say beforehand. I hope he is true to his word. The Feynoord club song says "Geen woorden maar Daden" and that translated is "No words but deeds" That is the important bit.

56 minutes ago, pete said:

Is that not the words of every new manager though. I think it comes out of the  Football Coaching for Dummies yearbook, brought out every May. It is whether they can produce the goods that is important and not what they say beforehand. I hope he is true to his word. The Feynoord club song says "Geen woorden maar Daden" and that translated is "No words but deeds" That is the important bit.

Funny, I think that song could be written for Carlos Peña. :D 

It means little having the skill set if you don’t have the mindset to make the most of it.  

Pena is clearly not interested in anything other than pissing his talent up the wall.

Edited by Unicorn

14 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It means little having the skill set if you don’t have the mindset to make the most of it.  

Pena is clearly not interested in anything other than pissing his talent up the wall.

Agreed, he's been off the rails for years and isn't going to come back to Glasgow and find his way again.

Given his history of the last few years, I think he's burnt his bridges and no serious football club will touch him. Unfortunately, we've been caught with a contract to honour and is another cost from what AJ called "institutional failure".

11 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I think the concerning thing about that story is that he's been missing for several days...wonder if anyone at Rangers has been told???

Is it normal for players in Mexico to just drop off the radar when they feel like it???