Derek Johnstone: I'm delighted to be back as Ibrox Ambassador

On 25 May 2018 at 13:57, buster. said:

Wrt defending the club, he won't be seen or expected to be a gamechanger, only a positive public voice.

I think he already tries to defend the club on SSB at times but simply isn't very good at it when it gets 'political'.

Not that I listen to Snyde, I would imagine that he possibly lets his exasperations get the better of him with regard to jousting with the likes of Sutton (not that he's, Sutton that is, Captain Mensa or anything).

If Derek hasn't already undergone it, if I were employed at the club, I'd be looking to get him the best possible PR training that money can buy (within reason). Send Derek back to school and teach him how to think (i.e. pick up on semantics etc., when faced with these potentially hostile situations). 

This may be naïve thinking on my part, but I subscribe to the notion that it's never too late to teach an old (receptive) dog new tricks.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

3 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Not that I listen to Snyde, I would imagine that he possibly lets his exasperations get the better of him with regard to jousting with the likes of Sutton (not that he's, Sutton that is, Captain Mensa or anything).

If Derek hasn't already undergone it, if I were employed at the club, I'd be looking to get him the best possible PR training that money can buy (within reason). Send Derek back to school and teach him how to think (i.e. pick up on semantics etc., when faced with these potentially hostile situations). 

This may be naïve thinking on my part, but I subscribe to the notion that it's never too late to teach an old (receptive) dog new tricks.

I think DJ is brighter than many give him credit for. He's sharp on the pun delivery and if the show was purely a football programme he'd be well within a comfort zone but we all know that football is at best 50% of it these days.

Regards the political, I don't think he's that interested or can be bothered trying to get to grips with it. To be fair, to become an authoritive voice on all the politics that might up would extremely difficult/next to impossible but as a representative of the club, he could get sent an e-mail prior to radio appearences with a brief.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

I think DJ is brighter than many give him credit for. He's sharp on the pun delivery and if the show was purely a football programme he'd be well within a comfort zone but we all know that football is at best 50% of it these days.

Regards the political, I don't think he's that interested or can be bothered trying to get to grips with it. To be fair, to become an authoritive voice on all the politics that might up would extremely difficult/next to impossible but as a representative of the club, he could get sent an e-mail prior to radio appearences with a brief.

Agreed Buster.

Derek isn't as daft as many people think. In many respects, when it comes solely down to football, he speaks a lot of sense. He's definitely become more credible since he ceased to be a Murray mouthpiece imo, and despite some having a pop at him for promoting the likes of Green, I reckon he's always taken the long view and recognised that despite his instincts telling him otherwise, he's had the wherewithal to see the bigger picture and how 'necessary evils' input into it.

I hear what you are saying wrt a willingness on his part to be political. A brief would be a start if doesn't already take place. And without labouring the point, I reckon a little coaching wouldn't go amiss too.

1 minute ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Agreed Buster.

Derek isn't as daft as many people think. In many respects, when it comes solely down to football, he speaks a lot of sense. He's definitely become more credible since he ceased to be a Murray mouthpiece imo, and despite some having a pop at him for promoting the likes of Green, I reckon he's always taken the long view and recognised that despite his instincts telling him otherwise, he's had the wherewithal to see the bigger picture and how 'necessary evils' input into it.

I hear what you are saying wrt a willingness on his part to be political. A brief would be a start if doesn't already take place. And without labouring the point, I reckon a little coaching wouldn't go amiss too.

He has his radio style and I doubt it'll change so I reckon a brief is as far as you'll get with DJ.

Even as a player he wasn't willing to change his ways and his career was relatively short because of that.

As an aside, I remember watching a video of what IIRC was Jock Wallace's first home game in charge (v Dundee Utd.) of his second spell and I was surprised to see DJ in a Dundee Utd shirt. I never knew he had a very short loan spell up there. I looked up his stats and he hardly kicked a relative ball after he left Ibrox in 83.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

His giggling talk with Tom Miller regarding what "human geography" could possibly mean - a conversation in which both started lost for words because of incomprehension of basic English sentences and ended it lost for words as they were overcome with their own primary school 'wit' -  bore, uniquely eloquent, testimony against this notion.

The only time I have heard him on Clyde we were ripped to pieces - with untruths at that - and he made one feeble attempt at partially defending us before letting them get on with it and he joined in the laughing at our expense at the end.

I idolised him as a player.  I'll never forget him at centre-half v Ajax. A wonderful display but how anyone can talk about him and 'global ambassador' in the same sentence is beyond comprehension.

Edited by SteveC

11 minutes ago, SteveC said:

His giggling talk with Tom Miller regarding what "human geography" could possibly mean - a conversation in which both started lost for words because of incomprehension of basic English sentences and ended it lost for words as they were overcome with their own primary school 'wit' -  bore, uniquely eloquent, testimony against this notion.

The only time I have heard him on Clyde we were ripped to pieces - with untruths at that - and he made one feeble attempt at partially defending us before letting them get on with it and he joined in the laughing at our expense at the end.

I idolised him as a player.  I'll never forget him at centre-half v Ajax. A wonderful display but how anyone can talk about him and 'global ambassador' in the same sentence is beyond comprehension.

Like most folk, DJ is bright enough within what could be called his own comfort zone but take him outwith that and he'll struggle. 

Big difference between most folk and DJ is with the latter, we are talking about public conversations in the media.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

Like most folk, DJ is bright enough within what could be called his own comfort zone but take him outwith that and he'll struggle. 

Big difference between most folk and DJ is with the latter, we are talking about public conversations in the media.

Yes, but if his comfort zone does not include being on Rangers TV as a co-commentator or speaking on mainstream TV or radio then why is it that this is where we find him? Also,  what exactly is he going to do for the club in his new position that is within his comfort zone (whatever that comfort zone actually is supposed to be)?

9 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

They couldn't teach him anything in 16 years of school, what makes you think they can do it now.:D