Derek Johnstone: I'm delighted to be back as Ibrox Ambassador

6 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

So why employ him in a role it sounds like he clearly isn't remotely fit to fill? 

That's not his job as an ambassador though is it?  SBS, you'll find a negative slant on everything to do with Rangers and I don't know why.  Are you like this in other aspects of your life, or just when it comes to Rangers?

14 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

That's not his job as an ambassador though is it?  SBS, you'll find a negative slant on everything to do with Rangers and I don't know why.  Are you like this in other aspects of your life, or just when it comes to Rangers?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what his role is. If he cannot defend us on a local radio show, how can he defend us on a global level? And again, I'm just looking at this objectively....there's only one person in this topic who's jumping in with an argument that isn't based on any logic. 

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

5 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what his role is. If he cannot defend us on a local radio show, how can he defend us on a global level? And again, I'm just looking at this objectively....there's only one person in this topic who's jumping in with an argument that isn't based on any logic. 

It's not the role of the ambassador to use his slot on radio to defend the club.  That's the role of either the legal team or the media relations team.  The role of an ambassador isn't to defend anything.  It's to promote the club at events such as foreign and domestic supporters' gatherings.  It's to promote the club to youngsters at the soccer school days.  It's to attend awards dinners as an appointed representative of the club.  Based on the requirement, I think he's ideally suited.  Don't you?

22 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

It's not the role of the ambassador to use his slot on radio to defend the club.  That's the role of either the legal team or the media relations team.  The role of an ambassador isn't to defend anything.  It's to promote the club at events such as foreign and domestic supporters' gatherings.  It's to promote the club to youngsters at the soccer school days.  It's to attend awards dinners as an appointed representative of the club.  Based on the requirement, I think he's ideally suited.  Don't you?

I tend to think he was given the role partly because of his media profile and reach........and his new remit would expect him to, within reason and the terms of the particular contracts involved,  promote and defend the club where possible.

Wrt defending the club, he won't be seen or expected to be a gamechanger, only a positive public voice.

I think he already tries to defend the club on SSB at times but simply isn't very good at it when it gets 'political'.

Edited by buster.

7 hours ago, Gaffer said:

As long as he doesn't do Rangers TV commentary I will be okay. Can you imagine him picking you up from Edinburgh airport and driving you to Ibrox. You would hang yourself with your tie on the hand grip before you reached half way.:D