The More Things Change, The More The Remain The Same

Was it really only 12 months ago that we witnessed what some of us described as the ââ?¬Ë?worst Rangers team in historyââ?¬â?¢ crawl to 3rd place in the SPL playing terrible football? It seems longer, but I suppose that can be expected after the promises of ââ?¬Ë?moonbeams of successââ?¬â?¢ and ââ?¬Ë?investments that would rock Scottish Footballââ?¬â?¢ from serial liar SDM. In hindsight, and given SDM history of false promises, we should really have known better.

It could be argued that this season was just as bad, if not worse than last. PLGââ?¬â?¢s revolution never really got off the ground and whilst Walter Smith has steadied the ship somewhat, watching Rangers isnââ?¬â?¢t really ââ?¬Ë?prime-timeââ?¬â?¢ at the moment ââ?¬â?? although weââ?¬â?¢re expected to pay top dollar for the privilege.

Another close season arrives and another mass reapplication for season tickets will follow giving our esteemed leader the belief that we the fans are totally behind him and believe that he is the right man to carry us forward. Oh, weââ?¬â?¢ll have his lap-dogs in the media telling us that he has a new found hunger, a desire to put us back on top, a list of first class signings queuing to sign ââ?¬â?? just to ensure that those of us swithering will give him (another) benefit of the doubt. I am still unsure if Iââ?¬â?¢ll renew, but if I do it will be in spite of SDM not due to another bout of his lies leaked to the press.

There is so much wrong with our club at the moment, it is hard to pick out something positive to talk about in the lead up to the last OF game of the season. I suppose the U19�s thrashing their Craptic counterparts in the U19 Cup recently shows that there might be some gems finally coming through the system. Players like Stevie Lennon, Shinnie, Fleck and Perry to name but 4. The U19�s also have a chance to claim the league title which will have been decided when you read this.

The latest fan initiative by the RST and fanzines, Rangers First is also worth a mention and going by recent games, especially out-with Ibrox, the first signs are that this is working and the Rangers fans are warming to this initiative and actively encouraging songs without the unnecessary add-ons.

However, the major issues that surround the club are still there for all to see and there doesnââ?¬â?¢t appear to be anything coming from the club that would suggest that these will change for the better. The most worrying is the money, or lack off that the manager will receive to rebuild the team in the summer. We urgently need at least 10 players, most of them ââ?¬Ë?startersââ?¬â?¢ but feel weââ?¬â?¢ll be pinning our hopes on players like Gow, Broadfoot and Naismyth (instead of the likes of Brown, Koevermans etc) and if we are, and I hope Iââ?¬â?¢m wrong, weââ?¬â?¢ll be back here in another 12 months wondering where it all went wrong and what if anything will change to make things right again.

Cammy F

I can pick out a few positives.

Man City getting 50 mill next year.

Sunderland 20mill

Sheff UTD 20mill.

Three teams that won't be fighting us for the Bosmans.:mad:

However, the major issues that surround the club are still there for all to see and there doesnââ?¬â?¢t appear to be anything coming from the club that would suggest that these will change for the better. The most worrying is the money, or lack off that the manager will receive to rebuild the team in the summer. We urgently need at least 10 players, most of them ââ?¬Ë?startersââ?¬â?¢ but feel weââ?¬â?¢ll be pinning our hopes on players like Gow, Broadfoot and Naismyth (instead of the likes of Brown, Koevermans etc) and if we are, and I hope Iââ?¬â?¢m wrong, weââ?¬â?¢ll be back here in another 12 months wondering where it all went wrong and what if anything will change to make things right again.

Cammy F

Couldnt agree more especially about the 'starters' bit. So the summer will be really interesting.

Some valid points as ever Cammy but I actually feel the pressure is on Murray like never before to invest some decent cash.

He wants to sell the club but no-one is interested at the moment. As every day passes the share price (and his profit!) decreases. If he can return success over the next year then there may be a bit more interest and he may be able to cut his losses before the shares bottom out.

Also, although your point about season tickets sales was accurate for the last couple of years I'm hearing they are not going as well as those previously this time. More bad news for Murray so it seems he will have to show many of us some of the folding stuff to help persuade us to renew.

PS: Anyone else who wants their articles on the site give me a shout. All of us are capable of writing some good stuff which can attract interest via NewsNow.

Ever since I started going to the games I have went with one objective, to support my team and help build an atmosphere to roar them to success, this has always been a privilege that I have to pay for. That’s just the way I have always seen it.

Reading a lot of fans gripes with SDM one that seems to keep popping up is that he sees us as customers and not fans who have our club at heart, I couldn’t agree more with this, the club should be treating us fans a lot better, after all who cares more about the club than the fans? Chairmen, Managers, Players all come and go but only the fans stick with the club through thick and thin.

The only thing I don’t agree with which I hear too much and even more so recently is that we are not getting value for money, that the product on the park is not worthy of our season ticket money, these seem like complaints a customer might have if they are being ripped off. So why is it ok to get on our high horse about SDM treating us like customers when we are looking for things like value for money?

While I agree with mostly everything said here and my fantasy is to have a winning Rangers team playing beautiful football, my bottom line does not required the most entertaining football.

The bottom line for me is to have a team who look like getting a good result is inevitable most of the time.

Celtic at this year have not exactly looked like Brazil but they have looked like they will win most of the time and then have. I'm sure if the tables were turned in the OF, there would be less griping about good football.

I think WS has brought that to the Rangers team, except more-so, and he is now five points ahead of Celtic in his new tenure. After two years of failure, I am reasonably happy with the team's results which has to be said is championship winning form from a very mediocre inherited squad.

Yes, Smith needs significant funds to improve the team and flesh out our ridiculously small, "Le Guen sized" squad. But we must wait to see how much is spent and on whom before making snap judgements.

But for now, I think winning ugly is probably more desirable than concentrating on entertaining the fans with pretty football.

I think the ironic thing is that if Eck was getting these type of results he would have many extolling his virtues, if Le Guen was getting them, he would be declared a genius. But Smith seems to get no credit at all.

Smith for me is manager of the season, the Best Scotland manager for a long time in the first half, and the best manager in the league in the second half.

Ever since I started going to the games I have went with one objective, to support my team and help build an atmosphere to roar them to success, this has always been a privilege that I have to pay for. That�s just the way I have always seen it.

Reading a lot of fans gripes with SDM one that seems to keep popping up is that he sees us as customers and not fans who have our club at heart, I couldn�t agree more with this, the club should be treating us fans a lot better, after all who cares more about the club than the fans? Chairmen, Managers, Players all come and go but only the fans stick with the club through thick and thin.

The only thing I don�t agree with which I hear too much and even more so recently is that we are not getting value for money, that the product on the park is not worthy of our season ticket money, these seem like complaints a customer might have if they are being ripped off. So why is it ok to get on our high horse about SDM treating us like customers when we are looking for things like value for money?

:thup:

This is pretty well related to a post I made in footy chat recently. And to some extent Calscot's as well.

Seems today the modern fan wants value for money and entertainment. I want to go to Ibrox and sit with other Rangers fans roaring on my team and watching them win games and silverware, whether its beautiful football or not.

Another thought that I have had after reading a post on another forum from a very esteemed fanzine editor :) is that when Murray does go, the new owners will NOT receive any of the following - The Albion, Auchenhowie, the retailing arm (JJB deal ties that up) old Pools Office/Supporters Association building - these will STILL belong to Murray. What does that prospect hold for any prospective buyer?

All that is for sale is Ibrox and the playing staff, SDM has ensured that all other assets are firmly in his, his families or one of his companies clutches.

So, what incentive is there for anyone to buy Rangers? To be successful they will have to deal with SDM in buying out, or renting all or some of the above (especially Auchenhowie, as without it, we have nowhere to train.

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the fact that even after he is gone, SDM will have a major say in the finances of our club and will continue to line his own, his families and his companies pockets with OUR money?

Cammy F