17 minutes ago, buster. said:

3341.jpg

I have a Yugoslavia shirt from the London Olympics (20s, I think).

Looking back, Yugoslavia should have probably been more successful than they were.

Edited by Gonzo79

Like I wrote elsewhere, Mexico are a very impressive side, tactically.

Their fluidity is brilliant to see, switching from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3, to 3-3-1-3.  

They got it spot-on today. 

Germany weren't bad, albeit they were slow, but Mexico had them sussed tactically; they just couldn't play. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Like I wrote elsewhere, Mexico are a very impressive side, tactically.

Their fluidity is brilliant to see, switching from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3, to 3-3-1-3.  

They got it spot-on today. 

Germany weren't bad, albeit they were slow, but Mexico had them sussed tactically; they just couldn't play. 

The Germans were relatively poor IMO.

They had a lot of the ball but didn't really look like penetrating at any stage. 

Mexico wanted it more and gt what they deserved.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

The Germans were relatively poor IMO.

They had a lot of the ball but didn't really look like penetrating at any stage. 

Mexico wanted it more and gt what they deserved.

They weren't great, but I think they were made to look poor by a Mexico side that (a) wanted it more, as you said, and (b) were tactically superior.

Germany did what they always do -- at least recently -- which works: possession-football, high-fullbacks, fluid front 3/4 looking to run in-behind. 

Mexico nullified them tactically: outnumbered them by switching between a back-3 and back-4. Kroos, Ozil and Muller were marked out the game, and their runners in-behind were covered with their back-3.

They were also really brave in the counter, leaving 2/3 players up the field -- especially for corners!

Just now, Rousseau said:

They weren't great, but I think they were made to look poor by a Mexico side that (a) wanted it more, as you said, and (b) were tactically superior.

Germany did what they always do -- at least recently -- which works: possession-football, high-fullbacks, fluid front 3/4 looking to run in-behind. 

Mexico nullified them tactically: outnumbered them by switching between a back-3 and back-4. Kroos, Ozil and Muller were marked out the game, and their runners in-behind were covered with their back-3.

They were also really brave in the counter, leaving 2/3 players up the field -- especially for corners!

We'll see how Germany react but the reports of them struggling coming into this tournament make sense.

Mexico should have scored three before HT, they got to the last third very well but lacked quality with the final pass/decision.