2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Wow! That was just breathtaking. What a game of football 3-3 both sides were incredible.

Watching that makes you glad Scotland never qualified! and hope it's a long time until they do as it is pointless qualifying when you have a shit team as Scotland have had every time they did qualify:), think I have got used to not seeing them at the world cup

8 hours ago, Crimson Dynamo said:

I remember rushing home from school to see it.

The next game against Sweden was great though. 

For some strange reason my only memory from the Costa Rica game was a simple pass to Dave McPherson that he allowed to go under his foot and out for a throw.

--------------

Portugal and Spain served up a real football match last night with some real quality on show.

- Ronaldo looks sharper than at any stage of the Europeans that Portugal won

- Spain looked decent at times and Costa led the line well. They also looked very vulnerable to the counter-attack and they'll have to adapt or suffer for that.

- No real damage done for either, both teams are going through

--------------

6a5953283e26ef59bc5ed233fd391b89.jpg

Portugal-female-fans-GettyImages-5410752

Last night, I watched the wonderful Portugal/Spain game here in Zaragoza.  Sitting in a side street Tapas Bar, drinking in the Friday night ambiance with bells on, and they were ringing. Spain is a loose coalition of warring tribes at the best of times, the Catalan position has brought a keen edge to the matter. No one is booed, but silence ensues when someone is subbed on or off; if their political opinion has been expressed. I spent a few days in a coastal town, none of the major supermarkets ie Carrefore, Mercadona, Geant, ...... etc carried any world cup promotions featuring the national team. 

Across the border in France(Catalan France), negotiating the doorways in those same supermarkets is difficult because of the weight of promotion ie allez les Blues, a Coeur des Blues, ..... etc. Plenty of Catalan flags flying from balconies in Catalunya, no saltires though, or indeed Palestinian flags. The real deal being flagged up, is the economic effect of no(or very little) Spaniards holidaying in Catalunya. Where I stayed was like a ghost town in the middle of June. Oh, and the EU is bombed out too, the Catalans are not happy with their support for Spain.

I am off to Burgos today and hopefully the standard of last night's football continues and excitement levels remain high? Interestingly, in the several minutes before Ronaldo's wonderful equaliser, Spanish TV were ridiculing him, a montage of feigns, huffy spats, and demonstrative outburts was shown three, four times, amid giggles and sniggers. Very BBC Scotland with Rangers. The biggest silence of the evening ensued when the ball hit the net ............................ they were stunned, and gutted. I wonder if Jose will be renewing de Gea's contract?

30 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Last night, I watched the wonderful Portugal/Spain game here in Zaragoza.  Sitting in a side street Tapas Bar, drinking in the Friday night ambiance with bells on, and they were ringing. Spain is a loose coalition of warring tribes at the best of times, the Catalan position has brought a keen edge to the matter. No one is booed, but silence ensues when someone is subbed on or off; if their political opinion has been expressed. I spent a few days in a coastal town, none of the major supermarkets ie Carrefore, Mercadona, Geant, ...... etc carried any world cup promotions featuring the national team. 

Across the border in France(Catalan France), negotiating the doorways in those same supermarkets is difficult because of the weight of promotion ie allez les Blues, a Coeur des Blues, ..... etc. Plenty of Catalan flags flying from balconies in Catalunya, no saltires though, or indeed Palestinian flags. The real deal being flagged up, is the economic effect of no(or very little) Spaniards holidaying in Catalunya. Where I stayed was like a ghost town in the middle of June. Oh, and the EU is bombed out too, the Catalans are not happy with their support for Spain.

I am off to Burgos today and hopefully the standard of last night's football continues and excitement levels remain high? Interestingly, in the several minutes before Ronaldo's wonderful equaliser, Spanish TV were ridiculing him, a montage of feigns, huffy spats, and demonstrative outburts was shown three, four times, amid giggles and sniggers. Very BBC Scotland with Rangers. The biggest silence of the evening ensued when the ball hit the net ............................ they were stunned, and gutted. I wonder if Jose will be renewing de Gea's contract?

I don't know if you understand the Spanish commentary fluently when watching a game in a bar but IMO you are overstating things with the BBC Scotland/Rangers reference.

Spanish commentary is very one-sided when Spain are playing in summer finals, no big deal.

Spanish TV coverage has always been big on picking up the incidentals/off the ball reactions etc.

Essentially, Ronaldo was 'Portugal' and attention was always going to be on him.

His indignant reaction to the referee was worth highlighting (aswell as a yellow card that wasn't shown)

13 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

France were dire. Got them in my work sweep - bloody no chance!

Ironically, I think they'll do better the further they go, going by the way they play (letting teams come on to them, and breaking with their pace) -- until they come up against a decent side! :D  

That Messi is pish eh! That has to be one of the worst penalties I have ever seen at this level. For a player who can put the ball just about anywhere, that was goddam awful. He totally bottled it. He can never be regarded as the best ever if he continues to bottle it on the biggest stage.

And yes, I did have a bet on a penalty to be scored in the match!