I am in Burgos, northern Spain. a most aesthetically pleasing town. At over 3,000 feet on a high plateau, they say you suffer nine months of winter and three months of hell. A Bear can be most comfortable here, black pudding is the local culinary triumph.

I watched the Germany/Mexico game in a small bar, rapt attention from a few Panzer fusiliers, and pronounced disinterest from the Spaniards. Well, until Mexico scored and some of the locals were anxious to let their former Blue Division comrades know, these former colonials were uppity bastards. I love the combination of bread, anchovies, and olives; thus was happy to allow the settled will to fester without interference. 

The Germans were far too studied in their build-up and the Mexicans far too rushed in their final pass at the denouement of several counter attacks. The bells were ringing, apparently to let the Camino pilgrims know it was their call to prayer. I thought it was to let the rest of us know that le petite train was about to depart on it's tour of the old town center. As the rear drive sprockets and front idlers of der Panzers grind to a halt, I suspect campanology will be all der rage in Berlin?

Back to my Navarra rosado.  

18 hours ago, buster. said:

How good would a select from the following countries be ?

Croatia

Serbia

Bosnia

Slovenia

Macedonia

Montenegro

e001ecea42f52bcdb1f581cb8960ecaa_XL.jpg

Toxic, Caustic, and Barbaric would add a certain, necessary, piquancy to the Rangers XI. 

If the above comes to pass, again; I have a box of Tito badges from a trip to Split, circa '78. Marshall Tito is resplendent in army, navy, and air force uniforms. Full colour images, amaze and astound your friends by sporting the Balkans past is their future on your lapels.

I know many will inquire of Marshall Tito's whereabouts these days, he is sharing a studio flat in Royston with Marvin Compper.

The 3 sides at the top of the pre-tournament betting for winning the WC have all played and to varying degrees, dissappointed.

It's often the case that the big sides start slowly and get better as the tournament goes on, eg. Spain lost the first group game in 2010 and won the competition. Germany lost the first game in 82 and made the final. Over the years, Italy were the most consistent at this 'approach'.

Over the last half century or so, there have been 4 main teams who have enjoyed WC success, Brazil, (W) Germany, Argentina and Italy.

The Netherlands poked their noses in as beaten Finalists in 74 and 78. 

Not until the French won it in 98 did a team outside the 'big 4' make a Final again.

Since then it has opened up a little with France, Spain and the Netherlands playing a part and 2010 saw the first ever final without a 'big 4' team (started in 1930).

My main point being is that the first round of fixtures will have given more hope to sides like Belguim, Croatia, Portugal, England that this is a real opportunity.

“How good would a select from the following countries be ?

Croatia

Serbia

Bosnia

Slovenia

Macedonia

Montenegro”

Good enough to draw with Scotland and progress to the second stage of the 1974 World Cup but not good enough to beat hosts and ultimately tournament winners, West Germany.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

“How good would a select from the following countries be ?

Croatia

Serbia

Bosnia

Slovenia

Macedonia

Montenegro”

Good enough to draw with Scotland and progress to the second stage of the 1974 World Cup but not good enough to beat hosts and ultimately tournament winners, West Germany.

Being divided into a various countries probably allows more players to make a name for themselves and rise to prominence. Who knows what Yugoslavian managers based their selections on in the past.

The closest Yugoslavia came to success was probably when the team who took their place at the 1992 Euros, Denmark, won it.

It's been interesting watching the egos crumble under the pressure so far, with the exception of Ronaldo. Neymar's hair made more noise than he did last night. I'm getting the feeling this world cup is going to an underdog if the '' big '' teams don't get their acts together. 

55 minutes ago, compo said:

Your verdicts on the  television panels who does it and who makes you press the mute button ,me personally I like Roy  Keane always interesting. 

Alex Scott on the BBC. Could watch her all day, every day.