Gersnet World Cup Prediction League: Round 2

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I've given up trying to guess scores. Just back from a couple of days loch fishing in the far northwest ... no phones, no tv, no radio, no world cup, no Buster - perfect.

1044875419_IMG_19713.thumb.jpg.f99ac661b37eaaf373079fdf59810fd0.jpg

Fishing? Just like your normal day on the Gersnet then.:seal:

5 hours ago, Bill said:

I've given up trying to guess scores. Just back from a couple of days loch fishing in the far northwest ... no phones, no tv, no radio, no world cup, no Buster - perfect.

I'd guess no fish either ?

52 minutes ago, Bill said:

Loadsa fish. Even more midges.

Midges are horrible. thankfully here on the continent they seem to disappear after the longest day. Here in my garden it is horse-flies that are the biggest pest now. They even jag through your tee shirt. Midges are annoying but horse-flies leave you with a lump for a number of days. They come off the heat of your body and don't give up until they have pricked or you kill them.

22 minutes ago, pete said:

Midges are horrible. thankfully here on the continent they seem to disappear after the longest day. Here in my garden it is horse-flies that are the biggest pest now. They even jag through your tee shirt. Midges are annoying but horse-flies leave you with a lump for a number of days. They come off the heat of your body and don't give up until they have pricked or you kill them.

I often wondered if there was a midge problem in Holland with all those sluits and canals.

I long ago gave up trying to find the ultimate repellant for midges. The best I've found is tea tree lotion which the wee buggers seem to hate but I use a hat net and gloves when fishing in the evening, as does everyone else with any sense. 

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

I often wondered if there was a midge problem in Holland with all those sluits and canals.

I long ago gave up trying to find the ultimate repellant for midges. The best I've found is tea tree lotion which the wee buggers seem to hate but I use a hat net and gloves when fishing in the evening, as does everyone else with any sense. 

We used to buy Jungle formula when we went touring Scotland after we were told the Forrest workers used that. It worked great. The Baskits still flew around you but wouldn't prick. The canals and Sluis\Sluizen are not the problem it is marsh land that make midges so prominent. That is why we only get them in the beginning of the spring then it becomes too dry for the midges. We of course have mosquitoes which lay there eggs in still water. The biggest problem is that people all have pots and pails full of water in the garden and that is the perfect place for breeding mosquitoes. If you live here you build up a resilience to the mosquitoes bite but most of the Scots that I have seen here get lumps from there bite. My brother in law had his eye like a defeated boxer when he was here, it was totally shut. The frig'n horse flies that is a different kettle of fish. you know when the prick you.

PS you won't get horse flies in a town they are more in rural areas