On 31/07/2018 at 14:36, Waltersgotstyle said:

He was banging on about how we have only really improved the defence. 

So let me see....

We were the highest scorers in the league last year... and now we have improved the defence...

Hmmm I wonder how that will work out for us this season  :)

To be honest, it is only the defence that has improved significantly. Going forward we are still massively lacking in quality. And regardless of what the stats say, we were extremely poor going forward last season. A good attacking Rangers side does not finish below Aberdeen in the league. 

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We weren't 'extremely poor going forward'.  Inconsistent, yes.  Disappointing at crucial times, yes.  Not clinical enough at key moments, agreed.

However, we were also very good in some games, played some nice inter-changing football and finished top scorers which says a lot given the lack of quality in the squad for long periods. 

As such, saying we were extremely poor is just silly.  To dismiss the stats with a wave of the hand is also cherry-picking for the sake of it.

I'm all for criticism and a realistic take on just how average we undoubtedly are nowadays (please, please tell us something most bears and followers of Scottish football don't know) but without a balanced perspective then it's really difficult to take you seriously, SBS.

18 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

To be honest, it is only the defence that has improved significantly. Going forward we are still massively lacking in quality. And regardless of what the stats say, we were extremely poor going forward last season. A good attacking Rangers side does not finish below Aberdeen in the league. 

A poor, and at times, too often to mention,  pusillanimous defence ensured that. 

6 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

A poor, and at times, too often to mention,  pusillanimous defence ensured that. 

Given this is the Clyde SSB thread,...are you auditioning to be our equivalent of Lawrie from Dennistoun ?

:seal:

I never venture East of High Street, a policy which has stood me in good stead for more years than I care to mention.

(About the same length of time since I last listened to Radio Liffey, since you ask.)

Does this fellow from Dennistoun agree about the craven nature of  last season's Rangers' defence, which at times plumbed new depths of timidity?