[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 6; Tavernier 50pen; Coulibaly 86) - 1 Maribor

Contrary to what a few have said I think Maribor will be a noticeable step up in quality from Osijek and will pose a genuine threat. Skupi were terrible and Osijek were bang average whereas Maribor performed very well in the Champions League last season and have a strong track record in Europe. It's very exciting to see how we hold up against a European side with genuine pedigree. I think they will be playing for 0-0 and it could be a very frustrating game for us.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Maribor performed very well in the Champions League last season

Liverpool beat them about 7-0 in Maribor.  However, I agree with your overall point.

Great preview Pete.  Really enjoyed reading that.  Maybe Mark Allan can help you with your car too.

There's no doubt Maribor will be the toughest test we've faced, but what's different about this round is that we have nothing to lose.  We've banished the ghost of Progres last year, and let's face it, were not expected by anyone to get through this round.  The pressure is off, and I suspect this is the last time we'll have a no pressure game (or two).  I just hope we continue to build on the performances we've put in so far.  I'm enjoying the games again.  I'm not wincing every time we give the ball away, or every time a cross comes into our box.

I just hope we give a good account of ourselves, continue to build the momentum, and then get stuck into the league season.  If I'm honest, I'm now just desperate for the game against Celtic.  We blew Aberdeen away, so I'm now looking to see how much we've developed.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

“We blew Aberdeen away,”

Not like you to exaggerate, Gaffer. But I know what you mean.

Did you not think so though?  I thought we dominated them for 89 minutes.  Had we kept Morelos on the pitch, that game was heading for a cricket score.  We all see things differently I suppose.

As I said, I know what you mean.

I’ve seen better Rangers teams than this one dominate better teams than Aberdeen without managing to blow them away. If they had managed a couple of goals more I would have agreed.

I think it's fair to say that goals aside we did indeed blow them away with 10 men and missing our only recognised striker. I feel we would have netted at least 3 if they had let us keep 11 men on the pitch but again that wasn't going to happen. Red card, rescinded, again.

I don't see Steven Gerrard as the type to exaggerate just to falsely bum up his team. When he says we were a class above them even with 10 men he without any bias genuinely meant it and to me it was obvious for all to see we were.

And I think it has to be taken into consideration that aside from being down to 10 men and having no recognised main striker on the pitch we still haven't fielded what's likely to evolve into our first 11. We're going to continue getting better while they already are what they are going to be all season.