[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 6; Tavernier 50pen; Coulibaly 86) - 1 Maribor

9 minutes ago, buster. said:

Ryan Jack looks like he's out and that is a serious blow wrt defending our defence and the retention of possession in an important area of the pitch. 

Yeah, it's a blow (and I suspect he'll miss Sunday's game too) but Rossiter is nearing full fitness again so he can provide the same qualities going forward.

As for tonight, I suspect a team along the following lines with Arfield dropping into the Jack role and Ejaria tasked with linking the midfield to Morelos.

rfc_maribor.jpg

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Yeah, it's a blow (and I suspect he'll miss Sunday's game too) but Rossiter is nearing full fitness again so he can provide the same qualities going forward.

As for tonight, I suspect a team along the following lines with Arfield dropping into the Jack role and Ejaria tasked with linking the midfield to Morelos.

rfc_maribor.jpg

Whether we'll ever be able to rely on the availability of Rossiter for long periods is questionable, we live in hope.

I like what I've seen of Arfield so far but he's not a Ryan Jack type midfielder and whilst industrious, he won't afford the defence the precise postional cover that Jack does. McCrorie might be a more natural replacement but so far this season he's given the ball away too much, which negates the good work he's done.

Since arriving at Ibrox, Docherty has been similar to the limited opportunities of McCrorie this season. Busts a gut to win balls but too easily loses it when in possession. It's too often a lot of energy expended for no net benefit. Jack on the other hand has the ability to retain possession better and against the likes of tonights game, that is vital.

If Ejaria starts tonight, we need to see an improvement on previous performances, so as to connect middle to front.

Above all, we need to put away any decent chances that come our way. If Coulibaly gets another 3rd minute clear shot from 5 yards this week, stick it in the net this time, please.

43 minutes ago, Frankie said:

rfc_maribor.jpg

For a change there are actually a lot of questions over what the team will be. 

Ejaria vs McCrorie

Kent vs Murphy

Candeias vs Windass

Ejaria over McCrorie would be an attacking move because Arfield isn’t a defensive player. However it’s probably the right move because we need to be able to retain possession tonight and Coulibaly and McCrorie in the middle wouldn’t do that. That’s a pairing for an away day. 

What I like about Coulibaly is his power and pace. Give him the ball and he will run straight at their defence.

Should we lose Tavernier, we might switch to a 3-at-the-back and have Candeias play a little deeper, as he does well in tracking back.

This is going to be difficult but all in all we really couldn't have asked for any better at this stage. We even have a manager who watched them closely just last season when Liverpool played them.

HT: Ufa 1 Progress 0

Watched 20 minutes of first half and neither team looked very good. Predictably, the Russiana are better and will probably add to their lead in the second half. Can't subject myself to anymore of it.