[FT] Maribor 0 - 0 Rangers

This is the most important game the club have played in for many years. I'm confident but nervous at the same time. Can only imagine how the players feel. Or at least the ones who totally get it.

This is the best team we have played so far and despite a two goal advantage we are in for a torrid ninety minutes , the players will have to stand resolute in defence and be ready to hit on the break  we deserve some luck let's hope we March on .

• Frankie changed the title to Keep on keeping on: Maribor v Rangers

We did very well in the first leg to get that late third goal but as others alude to, there is potentially, still a lot of life in this tie.

I see this as a significant step, if we can take it, on the way to growing as a team.

This is about mananging and closing out a tie against a team who have in recent years, proven to be experts at just that (at this level). 

Defence has been our strongest suit (especially when Ryan Jack plays in front of it) but tonight the familiar four names will be 3 plus one other. Can't say I'm too happy at the prospect of Halliday playing at LB in an important game. I'm sure Maribor will look to target that flank. The other thing this will mean is a predictability about our attacking threat coming mostly down the right.

The positive for me is the central midfield trio and this is where we have to retain posession well and be able to move the ball up the field, under control, taking pressure off our defence and giving ourselves a better chance of creating chances.

SG may have made noises about attacking but the main emphasis will very much be about defending in a solid and organised way.

-----------------------

First leg for show.......................Second leg for dough

Let's get this done..........

Edited by buster.

38 minutes ago, buster. said:

They also scored 5 a few days before we beat then 3-1.

Means little. 

I wouldn't say it means little. They've scored 5 in 3/5 of their league games so far, and that against decent teams who have been competitive in their other league games. One of them beat the champions Olimpija 2-0, and the Olimpija themselves have only won 1/5 so far.

Maribor have made a flying start to the season and are in the habit of scoring lots of goals so there's every reason to believe that keeping a clean sheet is a big ask.

And don't think they won't have clocked that we're going to be playing a centre midfielder at LB. They'll be targeting him big time. Part of me would be more comfortable with McCrorie tbh, especially aerially after seeing how AEK scored their second goal a couple of days ago.

However, we blew them away last week and we've every reason to trust the management to know how to win the tie.

46 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Could Lee Wallace not have been drafted in? He would reassure me more than Halliday. Remember SG saying he had no issue with him.

Although he's back in full training, he's not played for the better part of a year so it would be a huge risk to have added him to our squad.