[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 3 Rangers (Morelos 28, 43, 74)

20 minutes ago, buster. said:

In this case, I think it's more the colour of the shirt, than of his skin that is the underlying reason behind the skewed observations that come his way from the 'usual suspects'.

That raises his profile and fuels their dislike, but his nationality and appearance fuel the lazy stereotypes. 

The right foot of the Killie player is on the line, he kicks it with his left. I would assume the latter foot was visible to the linesman druing the swing.

Ironically, in the second half, the same linesman spotted the ball being out on the near side, when Foderingham tried to keep him in ... looking through both goal-posts as well as Wes' body. He gave Killie the corner.

7 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I doubt anyone cares what colour he is. You're the only person I've seen bring it up. 

You don't think his nationality and appearance have played a part in the lazy stereotyping? I lost count of the number of 'drug gang', 'cartel' and 'cocaine' references that peppered his early appearances from apparently serious professional journalists. If he'd been a young, white Irish player for example would they have made 'bombing', 'knee-capping' and 'alcohol-abuse' puns do you think? No chance. 

He's clearly no more 'hot-headed' or 'immature' than half the players in the league, yet he's the only one being regularly criticised for it. He got illegally barged three times by the great white hope that's McKenna at Aberdeen, how much criticism have you heard of him since then? 

I've no doubt the fact he's a Columbian gives rise to this bull-shit nonsense that he's hot headed and out of control. He's treated differently and I can only see one explanation for that. 

44 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That raises his profile and fuels their dislike, but his nationality and appearance fuel the lazy stereotypes

"Lazy stereotypes" have always been a tool of a sub standard and repetitive Scottish fitbaw media pack.

Generally, Scottish fitbaw gets the media it deserves.

It's a low end quality enviroment and most things around it, from the pies to players, to the press represent that.

51 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

That raises his profile and fuels their dislike, but his nationality and appearance fuel the lazy stereotypes. 

I'd imagine his responses to bad challenges, his rather furious looking facial expressions and general demeanour, plus the fact he plays for us, are the main reasons he is pin-pointed as a hot head.

You're veering into victimhood territory.  

He has four domestic goals in three matches, so far, this season.  He's a Buffalo Soldier.  

4 hours ago, trublusince1982 said:

He is clearly looking round the player . The guy on the line makes it easier. Anything seen to the right of the player must be in.

His head is inside the line you can clearly see that by the corner flag. The Kilmarnock player is standing on the line which means a part of his body is over the line. I really have my doubts that he can see the ball but it is a mute point now anyway.

As for Arfield he was excellent for most of the game but Gerrard wants to take him out of training for an hour and let him watch an hour long video just repeating his defending at the Killie goal and ask him "What the F*** were you thinking about"

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd imagine his responses to bad challenges, his rather furious looking facial expressions and general demeanour, plus the fact he plays for us, are the main reasons he is pin-pointed as a hot head.

You're veering into victimhood territory.  

He has four domestic goals in three matches, so far, this season.  He's a Buffalo Soldier.  

I'm not seeing victimhood, I simply think his nationality plays a big part in the type of coverage he gets. Morelos has had 2 yellow cards in his last 12 appearances plus the red at Aberdeen that was rescinded and shouldn't have been given. 

Scott Brown has had 2 yellows in the last 13 matches, a similar record to Morelos, yet he's held up as the ultimate Scottish professional. Leigh Griffiths has had 2 yellows in his last 6 matches, Lafferty 2 yellows in the last 5 games and Naismith 3 yellows in his last four appearances. Yet you don't hear Griffiths described as an Edinburgh hothead or Laff as an Ulster hothead or Naismith as the sociopath he clearly is. 

The fact that Morelos doesn't really look like 'us', comes from a country where they speak Spanish and is popularly portrayed as being lawless means he gets the reputation for being angry and petulant when he clearly is no worse than most. 

3 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I doubt anyone cares what colour he is. You're the only person I've seen bring it up. 

I agree it's either xenophobia or racism

Broadfoot dives it's experience. Morelos dives or goes down easy it's typical of his behaviour.

Burke pulls back halliday and swings him to the ground, no booking and zero comment. Morelos does similar and he needs to sort his attitude out he's a liability.

Have also heard comments from commentators and sports journalists saying he has to change his face, I don't like the way he looks, he has a greeting face on him

Literally blamed him for the goal not being allowed seemingly his fault as he didn't hit it hard enough.

Only difference is he's foreign.

Edited by trublusince1982