Smith scraps Linfield game pre-season...

its a horrible shame i think. we have a large number of very loyal fans over there and its a fitting reward to have a game on their patch.

sad days, but probably necessary. :(

Nothing wrong with playing games in NI as we have a huge fan base over there. I have been over 3 times to watch Rangers and had a fantastic time on all 3 occassions.

In fact, we as a club and a fanbase could learn so much from Linfield. They have had the same 'issues' as ourselves and as a club and fanbase moved on so much in recent years. In fact, in the lead up to last seasons friendly one of the Sunday broadsheets printed a fantastic article regarding Linfield and the giant strides they had taken (I posted it on the site at the time).

The only thing that was wrong IMO was playing Linfield all the time, there are plenty other teams in NI that would happily play The Rangers home or away.

Hopefully this decision hasn't been made to appease the PC and anti-Rangers brigade in the media.

Cammy F

I think the reason we havebeen playing Linfield for the past few years has been a political one. And I don't see any need to carry on with it especially the way things are going with UEFA etc. Bring on the games against Ajax and Chelski - that's far more interesting!!

It's not been politicial at all. :D

It's about playing a game for the thousands of fans in NI who spend the time and expense to travel to Ibrox every other week. A game against Chelsea is no less likely to throw up criticism than a match against Linfield.

:)

It's not been politicial at all. :D

It's about playing a game for the thousands of fans in NI who spend the time and expense to travel to Ibrox every other week. A game against Chelsea is no less likely to throw up criticism than a match against Linfield.

:)

No problems with the above. However i'd prefer to play teh bigger teams. How about going down south to play, to thank all the fans who travel up from there?

Cammy makes a good point, I think part of the reason I have little interest in Linfield games (even though my uncle tells me its a good weekend away) is the monotony of it. Playing another N.I team would acheive the same aim but be a bit more interesting.