Motherwell captain apologises for making fun of Cardoso injury

'FUN TO WATCH HIM WEEPING'

Peter Hartley attacks Rangers and Fabio Cardoso as Motherwell captain mocks defender’s broken nose in astonishing blast

Ex-Gers star Cardoso's nose was broken by Well striker Ryan Bowman in the Betfred Cup semi-final at Hampden.

MOTHERWELL skipper Peter Hartley has launched an astonishing attack on Rangers ahead of Sunday’s clash.

The teams face each other at Fir Park this weekend.

Hartley vowed there would be no respect shown to Steven Gerrard’s men when Stephen Robinson’s team take to the field.

The 30-year-old said it was FUN to watch Fabio Cardoso in agony after Well striker Ryan Bowman broke the ex-Gers defender’s nose.

He said: “I think (Bowman) broke a boy’s nose didn’t he? That was fun to watch, the way he was weeping.“But, yes, they have all been entertaining and the games have been close.

“We fully believe we can get the job done and beat them, I know Rangers are one of the bigger teams in this division but we’re not going to try and sit in for a draw at home.

“We’ll come out on Sunday with the mentality to go and take three points.“We’re fully prepared to go out and win the game, obviously they’ve had a good start and have a tough game tonight.

“We’ve had a full week to prepare, we’ll show them respect with how we prepare on the training pitch.“When we cross the white line on Sunday there won’t be much respect shown to be honest.”

The incident happened in last October’s Betfred Cup semi-final, which saw Motherwell win 2-0 thanks to a Louis Moult double.

After the match, the Portuguese defender posted a snap of his horror injury on Twitter.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers even waded into the row, hitting out at Bowman and claiming the challenge left Cardoso looking like he had been SHOT.

The Well forward – who escaped an SFA charge – later accused his opponent of an overreaction.

Bowman said: “Their reaction after that game is up to them. Cardoso was all over Instagram with his nose.

“It’s a physical sport, you’re going to get knocks. He’s a centre-half, he’s not going to go through the game and not get touched.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3106173/peter-hartley-rangers-cardoso-motherwell-captain/

Laughing at a fellow player getting injured like that? Surely the SFA should be looking at a disrepute charge?  What's the reaction going to be if there's another broken nose (or worse) in the match?  No wonder we don't feel there's any protection for our players when comments like this go unpunished.

I believe that the referee on Sunday will be Mr Craig Thomson. 

Apparently, he was due to (mandatorily) retire, but he has been given  dispensation to officiate for another season, to hinder, as best he can, the Rangers' "revival".

I anticipate several significant honest mistakes, clug dancing for 90 mins, a no. of injuries, and a minimum of 5 or 6 cards, hues various, for our players. 

This character Hartley obviously believes that the Rangers XI remains a soft touch. I hope that he is wrong. 

Many would argue that his comments 'bring the game into disrepute' (and they are certainly disreputable), but will the Compliance Officer evince any interest whatsoever? Answers on a postcard, please,....

I think that the attitude displayed by Hartley pervades their side, and that  it comes from the top at M'well, the manager Robinson.

It is worrying, and not just from a Rangers point of view. Can you sit Project Brave comfortably beside stone age fitba'?

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of Celtic's book with regards certain matters (I know it's not a popular suggestion, we hold ourselves to a higher standard and all that, but it's not working!)  The club should be using statements like this to put pressure on the refs to keep a close eye on the behaviour of Motherwell players.  Given that causing injury to our players is considered funny (or to any other players, but we're only interested in our own), there's a big argument to be made that a heavy tackle that results in injury can be considered to be pre-meditated which, I believe, is a mandatory red card offence...

13 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I believe that the referee on Sunday will be Mr Craig Thomson. 

SG has to impress on the players not to rise to the bait that will be hung by Motherwell players.

They'll especially target Morelos and Jack (if they play).

Edited by buster.