Motherwell captain apologises for making fun of Cardoso injury

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Busy start for the new yahoo CO by looks of things.

Wonder if she can show impartiality?

probably not....

She will time it that he misses the Celtic game.

As has already been pointed out someone a shade smarter and more mature than he is, maybe a 10 year old, has advised him that this isn't something that should have escaped the small space it occupied in your head. Now you need to pretend you truly regret it and not just because you now know it was dimwitted.

But the clown has exposed their strategy well before we get there. A kicking and breaking noses strategy which will now be all the harder to execute because he just made it all the harder for even Scottish referees to let it pass. 

Edited by JFK-1

I'm loving the way Gerrard is dealing with the media and these kind of issues. Doesn't mean Hartley shouldn't get a ban, but again Gerrard and Rangers rise above it rather than lowering ourselves to bickering about stuff like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45295844

By the way could someone tell me how to link articles/tweets properly?

Edited by DMAA

Graeme McGarry: Motherwell captain Peter Hartley was daft

GIVEN the bile and poison that flies around Scottish football grounds on a weekly basis, I was a little taken aback this week by the reaction to Motherwell captain Peter Hartley’s spectacularly ill-judged comments about Rangers centre-back Fabio Cardoso.

There is no doubt that Hartley saying he enjoyed watching a fellow professional weeping after being on the receiving end of a broken nose was stupid, crass, and lacking in class.

The comment reflected badly on Hartley on a personal level and on his football club too, given that he is the captain. It is also hard to determine what benefit his team will get from it, with the subsequent articles prime ‘pin it on the dressing-room wall’ fodder for Steven Gerrard.

And with Craig Thomson, the referee for tomorrow’s game between the sides, dishing out five red cards to Motherwell last season, he surely didn’t want to encourage the whistler to be watching the home players even more closely than he otherwise would have.

Hartley has form for such bombastic soundbites though. Having met him on a few occasions, he seems a really decent bloke, but when a microphone is thrust in his direction there is no doubt there is a little devilment in there.

Prior to the Betfred Cup semi-final last season, the match in question, he caused another flutter when he warned Alfredo Morelos that he was more than up for the physical battle and wouldn’t mind a scrap after the match as well if that’s what the Rangers striker wanted.

Given that Morelos was off-colour in that game at Hampden, perhaps it was a ham-fisted attempt to get into the Colombian’s head again, and from that end, there may have been more than a hint of design that went into this. But whoever decided Hartley was the man to step in front of the cameras before this match can hardly say they didn’t know what might happen. You can’t wave the red rag at the bull and then complain when it spears somebody.

That being said, the fallout and handwringing on social media over the comments was so over the top that I almost thought Neil Lennon had cupped his ears at Ibrox again.

When did the supporters who used to loudly and proudly proclaim that no one likes them and they don’t care start, well, caring so much about what anyone says about them? And particularly in this case, when the jibe amounted to little more than playground nonsense over what was a relatively minor injury. However much the swollen hooter of Cardoso may disagree.

I had to laugh at some of the tweets that derided the Motherwell skipper for his lack of class in revelling in an injury to another player and then on the next line, lacking any sense of irony, happily wishing a broken leg on Hartley in tomorrow’s match.

Then there were the clipes tagging in Motherwell CEO Alan Burrows, and even tagging in the Scottish Football Association. Give me peace. Trial by Sportscene is one thing, but now we have trial by Twitter?

As it is, the SFA Compliance Officer is now looking into whether there is a case for Hartley to answer. As for the player himself, he has apologised publicly on Twitter ironically, where it was no doubt warmly received by all those commenting, and his manager Stephen Robinson has called his Rangers counterpart to offer his own words of regret.

To his great credit, Gerrard – who seems to be among the few maintaining a sense of perspective – accepted wholeheartedly and called for a line to be drawn under the episode.

“The kid has been naive, he’s got it badly wrong,” said Gerrard. “But, to be fair, he has been sharp to retract the comments and issue an apology.

“I think it’s important now that we focus on the football. There’s an exciting game to play on Sunday for both teams and I think we need to put that to bed. We accept the apology, we forgive and we move on.”

These measured comments will hopefully help to douse a potentially combustible situation in a game that was always likely to be a tasty affair in any case, and quench the thirst for retribution from the Rangers support.

No one is defending Hartley’s comments, but any disciplinary action from outwith his own club would be extreme. As Gerrard says, it is time to move on.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16598663.graeme-mcgarry-motherwell-captain-peter-hartley-was-daft/

Most important aspect of this is for the referee to do a professional job on Sunday and if employed, not to allow hammerthrower tactics to prosper.

As for further punishment, I'll settle for us leaving Fir Park with 3 points.

Edited by buster.

31 minutes ago, buster. said:

Most important aspect of this is for the referee to do a professional job on Sunday and if employed, not to allow hammerthrower tactics to prosper.

As for further punishment, I'll settle for us leaving Fir Park with 3 points.

Aye, best not cause any more grief. Clearly because that’s what would have happened if a Rangers player had used the same language.....

Edited by cooponthewing