Morelos Signs New Contract

Saturday, 01 September 2018, 22:30

by Rangers Football Club

RANGERS are today delighted to announce that Alfredo Morelos has signed a new contract with the club.

The Colombian striker, who was recently called up to the international squad for the first time, has extended his stay at the Light Blues until 2022.

Morelos was joint top scorer last season with 18 goals, netting him the Sam English Bowl, as well as picking up the prestigious Young Player of the Year award as voted for by the Rangers fans.

The 22-year-old joined the club from HJK Helsinki last summer on a three year deal and quickly became a fans favourite, known as El Bufalo.

Morelos began his career at Independiente Medellin in his homeland before moving to HJK, initially on loan, before his move was made permanent at the start of 2017.

His season on loan in the Finnish capital was impressive as he netted 30 goals in 43 games, with four of them coming in the Europa League qualifying round.

Speaking exclusively today on his delight at extending his stay at the Gers, Morelos said: “I am delighted to have extended my contract. This is such a massive club and I want to be with Rangers for as long as possible.

“I appreciate very much the support I have been given and I believe I have a special bond with the fans. To play in front of them always excites me.

“With the new manager here it feels as if we are building something special and I want to play my part in that and also repay the faith he and all the fans have in me.”

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard is delighted to have extended the stay of Morelos. He explained: “I said we were talking about giving Alfredo a new deal and I am delighted to confirm we have now done exactly that.

“Alfredo is a vital part of what we are trying to create here and although he has attracted close attention from other clubs it is important we hold on to him.

“He is still very young and although he leads our line extremely well, the best has yet to come.”

The proud Colombian was this week called up to the senior squad for the first time this week, after previously having made six appearances for the under-20 side.

He said: “I’m very happy to have received the call up to play for my country. It’s something very important for my career.

“I know I’ve done things well here at Rangers and that’s the reason I’ve been selected.

“It’s very encouraging that I’ve been given the call up for the Almería Cup and hopefully I can continue with the national team for a long time.”

010918_morelos_gerrard_new_contract_06.g

Something not quite right about that handshake.  ?

In all seriousness, we have done some great business during Gerrard's reign.  Breathtaking, in fact.  It almost feels like the club is doing everything smoothly.  

is he on £30K a week? if so that's £5.76m we have invested in him over the next 4 years? 

Are other worldwide transfer windows still open at the moment like china? 

The timing of this is excellent is this done deliberately by the board on the eve of the game tomorrow to give him more confidence it looks like it and it's fantastic. 

Edited by magic hat

Delighted with this ... hope he'll leave his temper at home tomorrow.

BTW, and it has been said a few times, we don't copy & paste full articles from the club's homepage. A headline and a link should suffice ... so we don't deny them clicks. It's different with any other publication though ...

10 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Excellent news but he won’t be here next season.

We should already be looking around for his successor. 

He is developing into a superb player who will go to play at the very top if he can control his temperament.

He's not the only one who can be sold for much more than we paid viz. Katic, Barisic, Goldson, Grezda for a start. We could yet get a Dembele/Van Dyck-type sell-on.