Junior football

I don't have a favourite exactly although I've been to see Yoker a few times in recent years and keep an eye open for their scores. I've Ayrshire mining stock on one side of my family and recall being taken to see Cumnock in the Junior Cup final many moons ago. But growing up Petershill were my preferred side, the old Peasie Park was a great ground. Went to see Ashfield and Rob Roy too, even played at Adamslie Park as a boy. 

In some ways I'm sad that many of the Junior sides are joining the senior set up. At the same time Junior football is largely drawing from the same playing stock as lower league senior sides so I suppose it makes sense. Watching the grand old Junior grounds gradually disappear is sad though, but that's progress I suppose. 

My soft touch is the Bankies.Went many a time when I was younger with my cousins who stayed in Onslow Road.Also seen them a few times when they moved into the senior leagues,in fact at one time Andy Gray's brother Jim played for them before emigrating to Canada.

Saw some games they played as E.S. Clydebank and was dismayed by the way they were sold down the river by the Steedman's and Clydebank Council.

Interestingly following results see they are playing at a decent level in the Juniors.Won 6-1 yesterday.

I have often said that Junior football is a waste. The juniors should be a part of the production of players with every team having a youth system leading up to the first team. If you look at the Amateur clubs (which covers the junior level) in Holland then the clubs are whole communities. The top Amateur team near me in Holland is Quick Oldenzaal They have 4 senior teams who play on a Friday, 13 teams who play on a Saturday and 6 who play on a Sunday. That is 23 senior teams x17 x +-24 euros\pm. Then they have 65 youth teams from all the different ages paying 5-13 euro's. The younger teams won't have 11 players playing and will pay less. that is a lot of money coming in every month. Then if you take the money from their social club, sponsors etc then Dutch football is built on a financial strong platform. Almost all parks are grass which the councils keep up with mostly handicapped people doing the work.

12 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Pollok, like yourself, Compo. I used to go a lot when at school (pre-Souness). Have only been to a few games over the past 20 odd years.

They used to have a good social club but that's now a restraunt 

The only Junior team worth following... the mighty Auchinleck Talbot.

I’ve personally witnessed them winning the Scottish Cup on 5 occasions - 1986, 1987 1988 and then 1991 and 1992.

So I’ve seen them win the cup on as many occasions as any other team in Scotland has actually won it.

Talbot have won it 12 times and the next best is 5.

The team that won it three in a row is probably the best junior team I’ve seen.