Scotland Doubleheider versus Albania/Israel

CONFESSION TIME

I’d rather Scotland miss out on Euro 2020 than go to just make up the numbers, says Davie Provan

The SFA probably hasn't noticed but the national team is dying in front of the Tartan Army's eyes as we aren't producing enough players that are technically good enough.

By Davie Provan

AHEAD of Scotland’s final Nations League group game against Israel on Tuesday, I have a confession.

I’d rather miss out on Euro 2020 than go just to make up the numbers.

Unpatriotic? Not at all, I still live in hope for our national team. But what’s the point in going to a finals if we can’t compete?

When Scotland drew with Iran at Argentina 78, it was viewed as a humiliation. Likewise, when Costa Rica beat us in Genoa at Italia 90.

Yet both of these countries are now above us in the world rankings. How did that happen and what are we doing about it?

The SFA probably hasn’t noticed, but our national football team is dying in front of our eyes.

Where going to Scotland games used to be an inspirational experience, it’s now an endurance test.

I’m scunnered watching our boys being outclassed at a half-empty Hampden.

Nobody will appreciate the contrast more than Alex McLeish, whose backside is in the bacon slicer ahead of Tuesday’s clash.

When Scotland last hosted Israel in a competitive fixture, Eck partnered Alan Hansen at centre-back.

Even in the absence of Kenny Dalglish, Scotland started with four European Cup winners in the side.

Manager Jock Stein could rely on that quality and a 60,000 crowd to get the job done on our way to the 1982 World Cup in Spain.

Comparisons with McLeish’s squad would make you weep.

Where Stein had the talent of McGrain, Souness, Jordan, Robertson, Jardine etc, McLeish is not so lucky.

You couldn’t pick out some of his players in an identity parade. No harm to Eck, but his own appointment is symptomatic of a wider Hampden malaise.

When the public were looking for an imaginative choice to replace Gordon Strachan, Alex was a convenient cop-out instead.

That he’d previously walked away from the job to join Birmingham City hasn’t done him any favours.

But there’s much to admire in a guy who pulled on our shirt 77 times, even if his best days in management may already be behind him.

Either way, I’d love to see him come good. He deserves a decent run in the job after inheriting some idiotic fixtures.

A summer double header at altitude against Peru and Mexico? Only the SFA would sign up for that nonsense.

But even if Scotland secures a Nations League play-off spot, what will it mean in the bigger picture? That we’re on the right track?

Listen, if it takes the heat off McLeish, I’ll buy it — but it will only obscure the brutal truth.

We are not producing enough players technically good enough for the top level.

The recent Belgium game was a reality check. While Eden Hazard and Co were playing pinball football, our players needed an extra touch.

When they were popping the ball off early, our boys were running 30 yards with it before passing it ten.

Despite the smugness of those responsible for the SFA’s coaching courses, our game still looks primitive.

Against that backdrop former First Minister Henry McLeish popped up this week.

Previously recruited by former Hampden chief George Peat to save the game, I thought we’d seen the last of him.

But with a book to sell before Christmas, he’s back on his soapbox again.

To paraphrase, he reckons young Scots aren’t getting first-team opportunities because of too many foreign players.

He believes managers only think short-term and that the SFA needs to call the shots, not Premiership clubs.

Henry, son, if our kids aren’t getting a game it’s only because they’re not good enough. We have to bin the excuses.

When coaches are filling in a team-sheet, neither age nor nationality comes into it. Ability is all that counts.

As for managers’ short-term thinking? When Alan Stubbs is being emptied after four league games, who expects coaches to think long-term?

Then there is Henry’s support of the SFA.

Given the failure of the governing body to run the game successfully for decades, it might be a better idea to close it down instead of empowering it.

At a time when Iceland, with half the population of Glasgow, has built twice as many indoor arenas than Scotland, former MSP McLeish should be hanging his head in shame.

Between them, Holyrood and Hampden have failed our national game. That’s the real reason Big Eck is behind the eight ball.

JOHN COLLINS, Paul Lambert and Mo Johnston.

Three boys who had the courage to leave their comfort zone for Europe and return better players for the experience.

Lambert left as a box-to-box midfielder and came back a dedicated sitter and Champions League winner.

Not enough Scots take the chance of improving themselves in a different coaching culture, so hats off to David Bates.

He is in Germany’s second tier with former European Cup winners Hamburg, but you can bet he’s getting the football education of a lifetime.

Hopefully, Scotland will get the benefit of that for years.

FALKIRK loan star Zak Rudden should have been playing in their relegation crunch with Partick.

Instead, the Bairns did without him after the SFA refused to release him from the Scotland Under-19 squad facing San Marino.

Who in their right mind at Hampden made that decision?

Given the Bairns’ precarious league position and the potential financial hit from relegation, Rudden should have been playing for the people paying his wages.

Is it any wonder there is so little goodwill towards the SFA?

THOUGHT Daniel Candelas got off lightly at St Mirren after blowing kisses at Anton Ferdinand.

Knowing the Hampden beaks, I’m surprised the SFA didn’t charge him with sexual harassment.

But seriously, what is the game coming to when Candeias finds himself sent-off for a wind-up?

You can bet big Anton hasn’t lost any sleep over it. He’s had worse aimed at him. Just ask John Terry.

VERY best of luck to former Hibs striker Kevin Harper who’s landed the Albion Rovers job.

Kevin is the first black coach to be appointed in Scotland’s top four divisions for 15 years.

Despite completing his Uefa A coaching licence, Harper previously applied for 40 jobs without even getting an interview.

Makes you wonder if the Show Racism the Red Card campaign is gaining any traction.

IT’LL be interesting to see what action Uefa takes against Manchester City for breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

But good luck to the Etihad outfit if they help destroy the established cartel of clubs who’ve dominated the Champions League for years.

City’s wealth is less of a threat to the game than the debt being piled up by some of their competitors.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3504098/scotland-miss-euro-2020-numbers-davie-provan/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1542535121

I never seen the match.

Out of interest, are there any guys on here who follow Scotland? I mean actually go to the games?. What kind of reception do you get when you tell the Scotland fans you are a Rangers fan? just wondering!.

13 hours ago, buster. said:

The state doing the terrorising should change the relevant policies, if it wants no protests against them.

The reason I highlighted it buster is that should the Israeli team take offence they are entitled to walk off. The footballing authorities (is it a FIFA directive?) states no political or religious chants, banners, slogans etc. So it does affect the game if the referee takes the teams off due to flags or songs of an offensive nature. It has happened at other international matches where the ref has stopped play due to this happening.

Does Davie Provan not know that mostly the Scotland team is made up of mostly the celtic team and ex-players? Gordon, Tierney, McGregor, Griffiths, Forrest, Bain, Hendry, as well as Mulgrew, Armstrong etc.

If Scotland are so poor, how can celtic be so good? Its the same players?

More hype and hypocrisy from Provo.