The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

14 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Those stats for tav are unbelievable. 

Plus hes been solid defensivly for months now. 

Let's cut these stats a bit ... 178 games, 35 goals, 53 assists ...

15/16 - Championship - League Cup - Challange Cup -> 15 goals, 19 assists

16/17 - Premiership - SFA & League Cup -> 2 goals, 11 assists

17/18 - Premiership - SFA & League Cup - EL -> 9 goals, 9 assists

18/19 (thus far) - Premiership - SFA & League Cup - EL -> 9 goals (8 penalties), 14 assists (8 / none / 3 / 3 respectively)

For a full-back not a bad return, no doubt about that. But almost half of his goals came in the Championship (when he managed to score quite a few free-kicks), and 1/3 of his assists too. He's come up with more good this season, yet almost all his goals were penalties and 5 of his assists came against low key opposition. How often though did his plenty attempts at crosses and corners, not to mention free kicks, ended up nowhere near close to a blue jersey or indeed the goal? Us having Jack, Coulibaly and Co. about did him a world of good going forward, but - and no doubting his application and workrate - his defending left us open regularly last season and on occasion this season too.

We simply don't know how any other fullback will fare in his position up until we try that approach.

11 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

yet almost all his goals were penalties

I knew the stats were badly distorted by the first season but forgot about all the goals being penalties which is a fair point. There's no question he has a lot of quality in the creative department though, his runs and crossing have been a source of a lot of our goals. And although you mention that 5 have been against low key opposition, the fact is that the team have scored very few against the tougher teams.

33 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Right back is he not? Will he be competing with Tav?

He also plays DM but I'd be surprised if he wasn't seen primarily as right back cover. Looks like he has the ability to start off as a rotation player and eventually become a starter.

Thing with Tav is: we hardly ever have a replacement for him, he's played essentially non-stop ... which, effort and stats aside, may give you a  feeling of not being replacable and being a certain starter, no matter what. And we saw with him and others like Miller before, that such a thing ain't helpful in the long run, as others don't get chances and your own form may drop. Just saying. We should, with every player, keep his allround performances over the season in mind, not solely remember the good stuff. I pointed the same out with Morelos, who missed three really good chances before actually scoring his goal ... from a tight angle. In other games, such stuff has cost us points ... and not too few. (I blame the whole team for that, not A single player ... yet pointing it out shouldn't be out of question.)

Edited by der Berliner

17 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He also plays DM but I'd be surprised if he wasn't seen primarily as right back cover. Looks like he has the ability to start off as a rotation player and eventually become a starter.

34 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Or as an inverted Full-back...

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

I pointed the same out with Morelos, who missed three really good chances before actually scoring his goal ... from a tight angle. In other games, such stuff has cost us points ... and not too few. (I blame the whole team for that, not A single player ... yet pointing it out shouldn't be out of question.)

I agree. Morelos’s goals per minute ratio is 4th behind Hardie, Cosgrove and Edouard which isn’t very impressive. That’s one of the reasons I’d like to see Defoe given a chance alongside him, he’s a natural goal scorer. 

Edited by DMAA