The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

Our manager spoke about marquee signings.

Yep, I refered to the rumoured names listed above in the thread, with essentially all info not coming from official sources. 

46 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

The biggest shock here is Marcus Gayle, Rangers striker. I honestly cannot remember us signing him. Or maybe I don't want to remember? Apparently played 4 games and cost a million bucks. Did big Eck sign him? 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

4 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

The biggest shock here is Marcus Gayle, Rangers striker. I honestly cannot remember us signing him. Or maybe I don't want to remember? Apparently played 4 games and cost a million bucks. Did big Eck sign him? 

Advocaat.

10 hours ago, BEARGER said:

None of these guys are the “marquee” signings we were promised. So it looks like we will be having a large turnover after all.

I'd say Kalas is a marque signing. Good player.

However, we've not signed anyone yet, and we still need to flesh out the squad. We're light in defence--even more so after the loans have left. 

What we thought of as a marque signing back in the day is no longer possible, unless they are on the cusp of retirement, spend too much time in the treatment room or have some other issue. I'd refer to most of those type of players as ex-marque.

Rather than thinking in fees, it's the salary levels where Scottish football, amongst other leagues have been left behind.

For SG&Co it's more about putting a team of reasonable to decent players together that all pull in the same direction and then trying to add a little synergy.

Then you have to hope recruitment and youth development unearth the rough diamonds and you get some real quality, even if for only a season or two.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

One of the first believable and credible things we’ve heard this summer. Aribo would be a real coup by all accounts. In terms of the first 11 though none of the above make much of a difference I wouldn’t say. A fully fit Olsson maybe but he’s missed the second half of the season.