[FT] Rangers 1 - 0 Hibernian (Defoe 41)

49 minutes ago, compo said:

I have always enjoyed games against the Hibs well except the 79 cup final that seemed to go on forever before we won it that year but under their new manager they have played some decent football so it makes for a good game tomorrow although there's nothing at stake apart from bragging rights. 

I went to suffer another game against Hibs after the 3 Cup games.

A league game that was left over at Easter Road.

Surreal atmosphere with hardly anybody there !

Can't remember the score, only Ally Brazil coming in for lots of stick as we and he could hear each shout clearly, in a near empty ground.

4 hours ago, compo said:

I have always enjoyed games against the Hibs well except the 79 cup final that seemed to go on forever before we won it that year but under their new manager they have played some decent football so it makes for a good game tomorrow although there's nothing at stake apart from bragging rights. 

I agree about games against Hibs being good matches.  When I was a wee fellow it was usually prospective champions against current holders with the other greens nowhere.

But there are three points at stake. OK, three points won’t win the league but the gap will be something approaching respectable as opposed to unbridgeable.

While there is officially nothing at stake, we have to prove, to ourselves as well as others, that we can put a consistent winning run together, and make the final points gap a respectable one. We have the chance to make the final gap 6 points, as the bheasts will beat Hearts in the last game, by winning our last 3 games and extending our winning run into next season.

We cannot ease up, and if we have nothing at stake our opponents have even less, so no excuses on that score.

7 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

While there is officially nothing at stake, we have to prove, to ourselves as well as others, that we can put a consistent winning run together, and make the final points gap a respectable one. We have the chance to make the final gap 6 points, as the bheasts will beat Hearts in the last game, by winning our last 3 games and extending our winning run into next season.

We cannot ease up, and if we have nothing at stake our opponents have even less, so no excuses on that score.

Agreed, if we can win today, it takes us to 5 top tier league wins IAR, something we haven't done since 2011.

If we then could beat Celtic, it further extends that run but more importantly going forward, it would help our mindset in the head to head battle against them.

Another thing is that we need to convince ourselves we have the beating of these teams. Prior to last week, we had won a miserable 2 from 12 in matches against Aberdeen, Hibs & Celtic.......and the last thing is on tha back of that the management team need the encouragement of having at last found a way to win these games, even if too late. They need to be seen to have learnt the lesson, adapted in such a way that can work in the bigger games.

Spot on. I normally have little interest in end of season bounce games, which our post-split games have pretty much been, but this year they are so important as a sign of ambition for a real title push next year.

SG has had the fans backing this year despite a lot of mistakes, if we have a similar season next year to this, there will be calls for him to go. Next seasons work has already started and these last few games must be used as a springboard to 19-20.