Newcastle to approach Gerrard

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Sometimes you wonder whether people do not read what is being written about SG and what he has said - only weeks ago - regarding Rangers and his job here.

Sometimes you wonder whether people have never seen it all before.... where a decision seems to have been made, only for it to be reneged upon... indeed, very close to home, as in the very same person this thread is discussing, about 15 years ago asked Liverpool for a transfer request and said he wanted to move to Chelsea..... only to then renege and stay at Liverpool merely a day later.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

What you're saying is that any decision will be based on self-interest, which I agree with entirely. Loyalty to self, whatever the carefully manicured public image, will always trump loyalty to club/employer. Whether Gerrard stays or goes will not be based on any sense of loyalty that fans could relate to. For that reason, I also can't see him entering the lottery of Newcastle Utd.

The other side of the coin is that Rangers will only remain loyal to Gerrard as long as he produces the goods. Gerrard may have a bit extra leeway due to his past history but if push comes to shove his  head will roll just as other managers who didn't fulfil the expectations of the club.

8 minutes ago, pete said:

The other side of the coin is that Rangers will only remain loyal to Gerrard as long as he produces the goods. Gerrard may have a bit extra leeway due to his past history but if push comes to shove his  head will roll just as other managers who didn't fulfil the expectations of the club.

And quite right too. I'm sure Gerrard is more aware of that than most and would expect nothing else.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Sometimes you wonder whether people have never seen it all before.... where a decision seems to have been made, only for it to be reneged upon... indeed, very close to home, as in the very same person this thread is discussing, about 15 years ago asked Liverpool for a transfer request and said he wanted to move to Chelsea..... only to then renege and stay at Liverpool merely a day later.

Have you watched the Gerrard documentary on Amazon? It's an interesting insight on that subject. 

Not going to happen. At this stage in pre-season he'll be very confident he can improve on last season. He's not going to roll the dice and take that poisoned chalice.

11 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Have you watched the Gerrard documentary on Amazon? It's an interesting insight on that subject. 

Literally just finished reading it last night, in his own words, in his first autobiography.  The very two chapters where he discusses it in detail.

6 hours ago, craig said:

Literally just finished reading it last night, in his own words, in his first autobiography.  The very two chapters where he discusses it in detail.

I've not read that, do you recommend it? The documentary on Amazon is worth an hour or so of your time, you get a real sense of who he is and the drive inside him. 

8 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I've not read that, do you recommend it? The documentary on Amazon is worth an hour or so of your time, you get a real sense of who he is and the drive inside him. 

I've seen the documentary mate, thoroughly enjoyable watch.

Highly recommend the book (he has two biographies, I am reading the first one right now) - obviously I cant speak to him as a manager but what absolutely shines through the guy is his winning mentality - I read a fair number of biographies and his determination to succeed is as elevated as almost any book I have read.  Comes across as being someone that would elbow his kid out the way to prevent the kid from winning :roflmao: