Gordon Smith to become SFA Chief Executive

Don't know mate. I don't see he should given that every member of the SFA commitee have similar external jobs within the game.

hmmm. but an agent? conflict of interest surely.

For comparison's sake, Eric Riley is the finance director of Celtic but sits on the SFA commitee and disciplinary panel.

If that's acceptable, then so is Gordon Smith's player agency work IMO.

:)

I agree Barry - To use a comparison which actually shows that the FD of Celtic sits on those panels when he quite obviously shouldn't isn't actually a comparison which shows why Gordon Smith should keep his agency work up.

It shows neither of them should have the external work. 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Gordon Smith's agency work, to me, is less of an issue than having someone on those 2 important panels who is directly employed by one of the member clubs - but neither is right

I dont see a problem with it. Gordon Smith is a good honest man who hopefully can get his ideas across. Wasnt he once trying to get the SFA to move to summer football? Also i know he is against the idea that the runners up in the Scottish Cup dont get Uefa Cup football which i think is terrible. Thats two seasons in a row that we have someone from outside our top division representing us in Europe. How can we expect our seeding to go up when we arent being represented by the best teams possible in our top league

But the SFA is an organisation for the interests of the member clubs. I agree it should have a degree of independent consultation but it's inevitable that there will be the odd conflict of interests.

Now, in an ideal world, obviously that isn't desirable but many organisations (sporting or otherwise) are made of people who are externally involved with the subject matter.

The alternative is having a SFA commitee led and run by a board of independent people who would have to consult with the member clubs anyway. Remember, the rest of the member clubs get to vote on proposals anyway so it's not a case that a Celtic (or Rangers or Alloa) associated director will be changing everything to suit their own team.

they most probably have mechanisms in place to ensure that conflicts of interest are managed.

its just specifically the idea of agency that troubles me slightly, given what the job entails. i dont doubt for the smallest measurement of time (whatever it is) gordon's honesty, and am actually suprised that he is an agent given that the job really just involves lying for a living.

ach, better men than me'll deal with it. :D

Fair point Frankie - what should happen is that the Celtic FD, when a disciplinary hearing is undertaken for a Celtic player, should excuse himself from the meeting and not be part of the decision - making in that process.

Gordon Smith could do the same with players he represents.

agreed.

i think its a shame we cant just trust a man to act responsibly and fairly even in instances of those they represent, but the law doesn't do much to promote honesty and trust, and its probably right that it doesn't.

anyway, back to the subject at hand: wonder what the celtic fans will think of this? surely only hte most close minded could see it as a bad appointment.