Gordon Smith to become SFA Chief Executive

Brilliant appointment, i hope he keeps on his pundit role though otherwise we will probably get another blabbering tim ripping our club apart. I would still have loved to see him at Ibrox in a managerial role though.

That would worry me, only guy up here I actually enjoy listening to on tv/radio.

I post on an FM board and they are literally spewing with hatred for the appointment.

Apparantly a Celtic forum has started a petition against it and every Celtic fan I've spoken to so far thinks he's too biased or lacks the qualifications to do the job.

Just in case you missed them:

Gordon has a Business Studies Degree, a Football Management Certificate and an A License Coaching Badge. He is also a Licensed Football Agent and previously worked for one of Europe�s leading firms of Chartered Accountants. He now operates his own sports management company and is a Columnist with the Scottish Daily Mirror newspaper every Monday.

As a football analyst for BBC Radio Scotland and BBC TV, appearing regularly for the last five years on Sportscene.

Previously, a professional footballer for 17 years having played with Kilmarnock, Rangers, Brighton & Hove Albion, Manchester City and Oldham as well as playing abroad in Austria and Switzerland where he became fluent in German.

I've read many debates over the years regarding how the SFA should have a genuine football man in charge who is young, imaginative and the kind of honest reputation to ensure our footballing authorities modernise for the future.

He's been a big advocate of summer football; supports much needed changes to the structure of our game; agrees the fans shuld be more involved with their clubs; and has made many other valued contributions to the discussion of our game over the last 10 years. He is indeed a Rangers fan but I've never seen him as anything other than neutral in his comments.

An inspired appointment !

Unfortunately, as I expected, the Celtic support can't see past their own prejudices to see that.

Is that the first correct action taken by the SFA in how long???

i actually had to check the date to see if it was april fools day! A football man in the sfa? who would have guessed it.

on a side note, woman in my work went out with Gordon when he played for Killie in the eighties. Said he was always the perfect gentleman. I told her she should have stuck in there as he's on �£140,000 a year now!

An excellent appointment.

But his being an agent to players - is that an issue?

As has been stated - he always shows intelligent and articulate views on all issues and I hope he is given the time and peace and quiet to do the job. Althought C****c fans are already rocking the boat - don't know why because they are all Oirish are they not?? It is the Scottish F.A... :fish: