Assessing Steven Gerrard

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

Well he has only been here a short time, we have improved with more to come. Still hard to believe we have SG as Rangers manager, he is driven and I'm sure we will keep improving. I never pay attention to a managers reactions during the game, don't want him ranting and raving, kicking things and snarling it has zero affect on players/results, ripping the players a new arsehole in the changing rooms is where it should be done.

That two lines is exactly why I asked the question Ian.

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

Of course it's a fair question.

Some managers will react differently in some situations.

I'd imagine that yesterday Gerrard will already have went through his players many times regarding our tempo and loss of shape.  He didn't get much of a reaction, if any.  As such, perhaps he felt taking a step back and letting them sort it out themselves was a better tactic and, to be fair, a few players finally stepped up when the going got tough in those last ten mins.

He was also fairly clever after the match, choosing to praise the players publicly and enjoying the last minute winner.  Privately though I'd fancy he was raging with the performance and I wouldn't like to be a Rangers player this morning when they review the match as very few of them got pass marks.

Thanks Frankie. The last thing I wanted to do was start a thread that went into being anti Gerrard, I think the word "assessing" is fair.

It was maybe a knee jerk reaction and old school thought from me thinking he should have been up ranting on the touchline - perhaps passion got in the way. I also say perhaps Gerrard believed in his players to react and win it which we did and obviously his winning reaction was the same as all of us.

5 hours ago, Frankie said:

Of course it's a fair question.

Some managers will react differently in some situations.

I'd imagine that yesterday Gerrard will already have went through his players many times regarding our tempo and loss of shape.  He didn't get much of a reaction, if any.  As such, perhaps he felt taking a step back and letting them sort it out themselves was a better tactic and, to be fair, a few players finally stepped up when the going got tough in those last ten mins.

He was also fairly clever after the match, choosing to praise the players publicly and enjoying the last minute winner.  Privately though I'd fancy he was raging with the performance and I wouldn't like to be a Rangers player this morning when they review the match as very few of them got pass marks.

SG couldnt have been that raging with his players, he has given them all today off. He said in after-match interview he would start to focus on the Danes when they all come back to work on Tuesday. I would have hoped that after such an incompetent second half performance that he would have them all in watching the video, highlighting the many areas where we went wrong, and then out on the training ground working on how to break down a parked bus defence. But no, its a day off so all must be fine.

I had no problem with him sinking into his seat at the equaliser, I did the same! He isnt one for doing much touchline coaching anyway, you rarely see him pointing and shouting. He prefers to call someone over during a break in play to discuss one to one in a whisper what he wants from them. I dont mind how a manager coaches from the sidelines as long as he has the knowledge and tactical awareness to make tactical changes during the game to improve the chances of victory, and this is one area I think SG can improve on, and I have no doubt he will as the season and his career progresses.

A day off won't do them any harm either as the schedule has been very busy.  I felt we organised too many friendlies in any case.

I'm sure the players will be made aware that wasn't good enough whenever they analyse the game.  First half was reasonable but a blind man could see Killie were going to up the pace and we'd struggle to do the same.

Some of our play - particularly after half-time - was inexplicable.

my worry is our recruitment. which seems to be more opportunistic than targeted. 

If our 3 main summer signings are on the park, Goldson, Katic and Kamara miss out. Those players and positions weren't our problem areas last year. 

We certainly needed 1 center back but if we were going to spend 3 million attacking mid or laft back was the place to do it. 

Still a long way to go. 

I'm not convinced Candeias would have sought a transfer if he hadn't been humiliated by being left out of the first European squad. He could have been an asset this season and I'd blame Gerrard for his departure.

That's my biggest criticism of Gerrard over the pas couple of months but nobody is perfect and it's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight.

There's not a manager on Earth about whom you couldn't find something to criticise. That's not the important thing at this point. The question is whether or not it helps Rangers to have its manager openly criticised after one game. The same goes for some of the criticism flowing about certain players and I'm guilty here too.

It's only natural to react and disagree but it's possible to do that without fostering a sense of discontent at a time when what we need is cohesion and encouragement. We have a hell of a fight ahead of us this season, backing the manager might make more of a contribution than casting doubts on his abilities.

Unless of course you're talking shite about gravity. That particular form of narcissism deserves all the ridicule it gets. ?

There is no other person I would rather have in charge at this moment. We cannot buy defenders for 88 million and even then you have to ask if any player is worth that. We know Kilmarnock are a difficult team to beat so why are we so surprised. The fact is they do not play football. There whole game is stopping their opponents playing football by hook or by crook.

1 hour ago, pete said:

There is no other person I would rather have in charge at this moment. We cannot buy defenders for 88 million and even then you have to ask if any player is worth that. We know Kilmarnock are a difficult team to beat so why are we so surprised. The fact is they do not play football. There whole game is stopping their opponents playing football by hook or by crook.

I think we also need to recognise that Gerrard is human too and his teams will achieve more if he also feels supported and trusted.

We also need to realise this is Rangers and every little thing will be analysed and every mistake will be criticised.  SG signed up for it.

If you continue to make the same mistakes, it doesn't matter if you're Jock Wallace, Jesus Christ or Franz Beckenbauer, you'll have to sort it our and fast.