Ryan Kent on Instagram

I think Liverpool have shot themselves in the foot. I reckon we’d have done a deal for him if reasonable. Now they have an unhappy player that cannot move this window (unlikely at least) and his value can only decrease unless they send him out of loan again....but they won’t do that. Vicious cycle and unfortunately Kent - who has done himself and Liverpool proud - is paying the price. 

Just doesnt make make any sense.

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

It’s just possible any “betrayal” that took place wasn’t of Liverpool’s making. Just saying. 

I don’t think there’s been any ‘betrayal’ although it seems Ryan is Clearly pointing the finger at Liverpool. If not them who do you think betrayed him? 

Just now, weebluedevil said:

I don’t think there’s been any ‘betrayal’ although it seems Ryan is Clearly pointing the finger at Liverpool. If not them who do you think betrayed him? 

Could’ve been his agent ... or Gerrard ... or another club such as Leeds. 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s just possible any “betrayal” that took place wasn’t of Liverpool’s making. Just saying. 

Given Kent has removed all his Liverpool pictures from his Instagram account, it seems clear that's where his comments are aimed. 

As you all know I would still love to have Kent back, and I hope we can still work out a deal - perhaps a loan with an option to buy.  Jones is great when there's space but I just don't think he's the type to operate so effectively when we face many of the SPL teams who will sit back.  I hope I'm wrong though.  I really think Kent and Aribo can work well together.

However, regarding the OP, I feel sorry for the boy.  He's had a great season with us, and now as a punishment for not moving to Leeds (I understand they were in the right ball park but he didn't want to go, instead hoping for a return to us), Liverpool are keeping him in the U23 squad.  They understandably need to send a signal to others like Kent that they can't hold the club to ransom to get the move they want.  I hope it's gets sorted out quickly because one way or another Kent needs to be playing for a decent team to continue his development.

Quite a few things you can read into this. On face value, he loved his time with us and wanted to come back. The Liverpool high-ups didn`t want him to go anywhere unless for cash. They dug in and ... AFAIK, no-one really offered the money they looked for (possibly knowing that his mind was set for a SG-reunion). Both sides dug in and as the transfer window has passed, he has but three options. Either playing for the Liverpool u23s (and keep himself fit) , hope that some foreign team happens by that he likes ... or come back to us, if the Liverpool hierarchy agrees on a loan deal or a permanent deal that we can afford, perhaps in installments (who does that in football though, given that he could wreck his knee or the like next month and won`t play again)? In saying that, early signs are that Jones and Ojo are adequate replacements for Kent, with Barker now also there and Hastie and Stewart about too. And 5, 7 or more million would be quite substantial for a position so well covered. Maybe things move on once we get into the EL group phase ...

Edited by der Berliner