Champions League 19/20

That was a great few nights of football, for me. I can't stand Atleti, Barcelona, nor Man City. All got pumped. (I was rooting for Atalanta too, but you can't have everything.)

The arrogance of the pundits and commentators last night was annoying, as if City just had to turn up - they were even saying that Man City will have a field day against Bayern because of the high line the Germans were playing against Barca. It's all so naive; as if teams just play one way. Bayern would not have played with a high line against Man City. 

Matches are not played on paper. You have two teams, two managers looking to out-do the other; different tactics, different approaches, difference ways of playing. We had a Lyon side who got their tactics spot-on: playing quite a deep block, but aggressive to close down; and then pinged ball over the top for their quick forwards.

I think Steve McManaman was saying it's not arrogance, they just now what City can do. Yes, at their best they are superb. But can they do it when they are stopped from doing it? 

It's not even an English thing: the same thing happened in the Atleti-Leipsig match. Historically there's only one winner; on paper you'd say Atleti have the better calibre of player. But again, the game is not played on paper. Atleti are very stubborn in their approach; there's no real attacking impetus; they defend deep and counter. In contrast, Leipsig are managed by a tactically astute coach, Nagelsmann, and they play some of the most wonderful attacking football you'll ever see; the pace and movement is superb. 

Another good thing: We pumped Lyon a few weeks ago, so we're basically the 4th best team in Europe! :D 

City looked a bit off the boil and Guardiola made a bit of an arse of it with his tactics (the game was lost in midfield).

The thought of PSG vs RB Leipzig in a European Cup semi final is a bit grim.  I think it'll be an all-German final.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

City looked a bit off the boil and Guardiola made a bit of an arse of it with his tactics (the game was lost in midfield).

The thought of PSG vs RB Leipzig in a European Cup semi final is a bit grim.  I think it'll be an all-German final.

The year of the hun ?

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Another good thing: We pumped Lyon a few weeks ago, so we're basically the 4th best team in Europe!

Aye, right. I’m with you now.

City can get by with a defence of strollers when they have Silva and Aguero . Mahrez and Gundogan are a good step down.