Champions League 19/20

20 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

City looked a bit off the boil and Guardiola made a bit of an arse of it with his tactics (the game was lost in midfield).

The thought of PSG vs RB Leipzig in a European Cup semi final is a bit grim.  I think it'll be an all-German final.

I agree on the whole, but it's not so simple. 

Man City started to create pressure when they went back to their 4-2-3-1 type formation and bringing on Mahrez. They scored, but, they also conceded more goals. Gurardiola went with a back three to cover the two Lyon forwards. It was a logical move, and it worked because they only conceded one, which was unlucky situation (wonderful finish). Imagine how much joy Lyon could have had if Man City started with only 2 CBs?

The issue for them was that they couldn't find any solutions in the final third to score. Their midfield couldn't find the space, partly because it was a change in formation, partly because Lyon smothered them.

My point is, it's not as simple as 'on paper Man City are better so should win'. The game is much more complex. 

9 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Aye, right. I’m with you now.

City can get by with a defence of strollers when they have Silva and Aguero . Mahrez and Gundogan are a good step down.

Can they, though? Norwich beat them at the start of the season when they had Silva, Aguero and the other Silva (Bernardo). They did have Stones and Otamendi at the back!

Again, my point was, it's not as simple as 'this side is better on paper, so should win'. Tactics play a huge part. 

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinnime said:

What do people think of this "knock out" format? I know it was a compromise born out of Covid, but I have enjoyed all 4 ties immensely. Just wonder if it destroys some of the negativity of the two leg approach??

I was thinking that last night. 

I don't know if it's because of the teams left, the disruption, and different stages of preparedness of the teams - or the One-leg knockout. 

I have really enjoyed it. 

I wonder if they could make it more permanent? Expand the competition to include all champions, and have a one-leg tie. Anything could happen! 

35 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Their midfield couldn't find the space, partly because it was a change in formation, partly because Lyon smothered them.

Guardiola's fault then.

There's no chance UEFA will retain the one leg knock out.  The CL is run by the big clubs in the big leagues and this would only lessen their chances of continually getting to the latter stages.

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's no chance UEFA will retain the one leg knock out.  The CL is run by the big clubs in the big leagues and this would only lessen their chances of continually getting to the latter stages.

Not to mention financial greed.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I wonder if they could make it more permanent? Expand the competition to include all champions, and have a one-leg tie. Anything could happen! 

There's a financial downside to that which wouldn't suit Rangers. Only one gate presumably split. Two legs two gates each side keeping all of their own home gate.

On 16/08/2020 at 10:17, Rousseau said:

I was thinking that last night. 

I don't know if it's because of the teams left, the disruption, and different stages of preparedness of the teams - or the One-leg knockout. 

I have really enjoyed it. 

Would be a huge drop in revenue and not sure i can see turkeys voting for Christmas just yet.