16 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

When we drop Morelos we trade off the ability to retain possession up the pitch

Sorry to nitpick but this is clearly not true. Defoe is far better than Morelos at retaining possession, whatever else you say about him. Sure Morelos is strong and has the ability to hold off defenders sometimes but overall Defoe's technical advantage shows and he rarely gives away possession compared to Morelos and the stats would back that up. I don't think starting Defoe was the problem yesterday at all. I think Barisic and Jones starting would have made a difference.

Edited by DMAA

The title will not be won or lost based on Old Firm games alone.   Yesterday was a blow, but perhaps we needed a reality check, a marker for a few players that they will need to show more in order to provide the challenge we all think they are capable of providing.

For once the international break might have come at the right time for us.

3 minutes ago, stewarty said:

The title will not be won or lost based on Old Firm games alone.   Yesterday was a blow, but perhaps we needed a reality check, a marker for a few players that they will need to show more in order to provide the challenge we all think they are capable of providing.

For once the international break might have come at the right time for us.

Wise words. I'm not sure about this but didn't we show a similar loss of form after we qualified for the Europa League last season.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Wise words. I'm not sure about this but didn't we show a similar loss of form after we qualified for the Europa League last season.

Did Separate Entity FC not beat us at the knew camp last season after qualifying??, I can't remember!

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

We stuttered from the off last season really with draws at Aberdeen and Motherwell before qualifying. The loss to Celtic was a few days after qualifying just like this season. So far the difference between this season and last season in the league is that this season we found the winner twice whereas last season we had already dropped 4 before the Celtic game. I felt in those early games it showed that we didn't have many possession players in the team and couldn't keep the ball, that is certaily in stark contrast to this season.

Still reason to be hopeful but I'm starting to wonder if come December the moaners among us will be screaming for a number 10 to be signed in January like we were last season. Ojo looks lightweight and not up for the physical side of the game and a bit raw in general, Jones is best on the counter rather than unlocking defences, Arfield is a player I really like but he is maybe struggling with playing every game, Barker is injury prone and a bit of a counter attack player like Jones and Stewart doesn't seem to be fancied by the manager. That's a cup half empty assessment of course but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping Allen pulls a rabbit out of the hat today.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

Talking of the road ahead, Gerrard would do us all a favour if he imposed a large fine on Jones and left him out of the first team squad for a few games. 

I think he is out for a while anyway. He left Ibrox on crutches and rumours are he will be out for a while.

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

Talking of the road ahead, Gerrard would do us all a favour if he imposed a large fine on Jones and left him out of the first team squad for a few games. 

I’d have thought Jones getting himself sent off in injury time was not the most significant of our problems yesterday.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

I think he is out for a while anyway. He left Ibrox on crutches and rumours are he will be out for a while.

With Jones and Barker injured and Hastie loaned out maybe Gerrard has been handed an excuse to make a last minute loan signing...